Electric fan relay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sigh....
So i changed out all my cooling system stuff: thermostat, water pump, fan clutch, electric fan motor. Drive it around for a bit and the CEL comes on. Code says fan relay and fans not working. It was, I even painted 1 blade white to make it easier to see. Bought a relay at advance. Big sucker, wants me to drill another hole in there. That would require me to pull left front wheel and fender well. After the past couple fun filled days, I don't wanna. Anybody think I can run a ground wire from the relay to the body and zip tie that puppy to something? Original on left

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh....
So i changed out all my cooling system stuff: thermostat, water pump, fan clutch, electric fan motor. Drive it around for a bit and the CEL comes on. Code says fan relay and fans not working. It was, I even painted 1 blade white to make it easier to see. Bought a relay at advance. Big sucker, wants me to drill another hole in there. That would require me to pull left front wheel and fender well. After the past couple fun filled days, I don't wanna. Anybody think I can run a ground wire from the relay to the body and zip tie that puppy to something? Original on left

You must have an 02 or 03 (maybe 04?). I think they started using those big ones as an upgrade when the little ones from the factory started to fail. Mine was changed at the dealer and mounted right where the original was so they must have drilled another hole. That's what I'd recommend. Do it once and be done.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have an 02 or 03 (maybe 04?). I think they started using those big ones as an upgrade when the little ones from the factory started to fail. Mine was changed at the dealer and mounted right where the original was so they must have drilled another hole. That's what I'd recommend. Do it once and be done.

I know I know. Just got enough bruises right now.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sigh....

Ya no need to pull off the wheel and liner! you just reuse one of the existing holes and bolt and it should have come with a self-drilling/tapping screw for the second hole, or a self tapping bolt that would require you to drill a pilot hole, not too hard at all, unless I'm missing something.

Bert

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya no need to pull off the wheel and liner! you just reuse one of the existing holes and bolt and it should have come with a self-drilling/tapping screw for the second hole, or a self tapping bolt that would require you to drill a pilot hole, not too hard at all, unless I'm missing something.

Bert

Has a stud coming out of the back side that needs a hole. The mount bolt is much larger. No room to drill from the engine bay unless I pull out the fans and shroud (again) and that's still only a "maybe". May be able to with a 90• drill but don't have one.

Latest posts

Members online