Engine temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shupaz

Reaction score
Hello, I'm driving a 2004 3.7L Liberty, It was 108 degrees today . most of the time the engin temperature was 195-205 degrees but one time when climbing a hill off road , T case in low, engine reached 230 degrees. Is that ok? how to check if the electronic fan comes on properly?
After coolling issues I changed to a heavy duty fan clutch (hyden), new water pump and new thermostat but not sure that the electric fan comes on properly and to full speed when needed. It works, comes on when ac is on. What should I check?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Yes with T-case in low climbing, you could see 230F, which is normal for a 108 degree day.
I assume you are monitoring the water temps with an OBD2 scan gauge or similar.
It is great that you have a new water pump & the heavy duty cooling system and the electrical fan as well.
I have seen 235F only once in my jeep, so I would say your system is functioning normally.
I've stopped at the top of hill at 235F, lifted the hood to evacuate the under hood temps.
Hood vents would sure help, but many don't want to cut into their hoods.
You must be registered for see images attach

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was towing a trailer up some 3 mile long WV hills, 10% grade, 55 mph in 2nd gear, high rpm’s. The engine temperature climbed and hit 224 midway up the hill until I had the bright idea of opening the windows and turning on the cabin heat full blast. The temperature was down to 116 at the top of the hill! Having a second “radiator” made a good difference.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve deployed that backup cooling system in other vehicles over the years, lol.

Shupaz

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your answers!! I was a bit worried.
yes the reading was with an OBD2 scan gauge.
After that climbing all the temperature readings were fine and normal considering it was in a hot area and a very hot day.