DynaBeads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So someone else's mention of using DynaBeads has prompted some discussion amongst other people I know and I'd like to see about people's experience using them with setups on the Liberty. The one concern I've heard repeated several times is it takes a bit for the balance to be acheived after a stop... sometimes on the order of 20 to 30 seconds. During that time there's of course vibration. I'm wondering if anyone on here has experienced that. It seems to me that a "hybrid" approach to balancing would combine the best of both worlds... traditional dynamic balancing with wheel weights followed up with an ounce or 2 of DynaBeads to "trim" out the balance and handle the changing nature of the tire.

discuss. :party52:

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So someone else's mention of using DynaBeads has prompted some discussion amongst other people I know and I'd like to see about people's experience using them with setups on the Liberty. The one concern I've heard repeated several times is it takes a bit for the balance to be acheived after a stop... sometimes on the order of 20 to 30 seconds. During that time there's of course vibration. I'm wondering if anyone on here has experienced that. It seems to me that a "hybrid" approach to balancing would combine the best of both worlds... traditional dynamic balancing with wheel weights followed up with an ounce or 2 of DynaBeads to "trim" out the balance and handle the changing nature of the tire.

discuss. :party52:

I ran airsoft beads in MT/R's for a couple of years. The only time I noticed a lag in balance is on hard cornering at speed. Wide sweeping curves never a problem, just on tight curves. Not 20-30 seconds, but it was noticable immediately after the curve. Accel or decel seemed to shorten the time to rebalance.

I would bead balancing again. Just spin balanced my current set of AT's and haven't had a reason to bead balance them. My experience with MTRs as difficult to keep balanced lead me to the bead balancing solution.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the airsoft pellets too. They did work, but took about 5-10 seconds at speed to balance out. I think actual dynabeads would have worked better. Also, I was using them in 235/75-15 tires (29" Diameter). I have heard since then that the bead balancing works best on larger diameter (32" up) tires.

05kj6spd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Dyna beads in both my Libby on 265/70R16 and my wrangler with 35/12.30R15. They work well in both. On the Libby I had the tires balanced normally but on the wrangler I just use the beads. I recommend balancing at the time of installation of the tires, then add beads and go. I have never had a problem with the Libby but I occasionally get some vibes on the wrangler. Normally I get the vibes at 40 MPG and after a weekend of wheeling and punishing the tires. It normally goes away of I get a hundred or so road miles back on them.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I just dont know how much compensation in balance the dyna beads provide.
For instance if your rim was out of round, and need 3 oz weight..would it still fully compensate?
I still say ya new tires balance and alignment, dynabeads why not, while at a balancing machine and see how they respond to be sure.
You could actually test them un balanced on machine and install beads, then on balance machine and see what is the real difference.
Maybe it is still a good idea to have your tires/rims still checked once a year on a wheel balancer...

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I setup my tires the first time, I pulled all the wheel wieghts off and recorded the wieght for each wheel. I wanted to ensure I added at least enough wieght in beads to equal the wieght from the wheel with the highest total.

Turned out to be just about the same as what was recommended for that size tire.

05kj6spd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People some times seem to be mislead by the size of tire weights. They aren't really that heavy. I mean the big ones are 4 oz and you normally don't install that many unless the rim is bent or something. The Dynabeads told me 8oz. for my tires and that is a lot more then I have in weights on the rims.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People some times seem to be mislead by the size of tire weights. They aren't really that heavy. I mean the big ones are 4 oz and you normally don't install that many unless the rim is bent or something. The Dynabeads told me 8oz. for my tires and that is a lot more then I have in weights on the rims.
How much weight needed is also directly effected by the tire construction(MT/AT/HT),rim type(steel/alloy),tire/wheel size,and the biggest factor is if your dynamic balancing(pound on weights on both beads) or static balancing(stick on weights on the inside).

The Toyo Open Country MT's I had(35x13.50x15) are extremely well built with extreme care and never had on take more then 3oz of weights to balance but the cost of each tire reflected this.My new MT/R's(35x12.50x15) are more mass produced and yes at a slightly less QC standard but are taking about 8oz each to balance which is not bad for a 35" tire.

Steel rims generally take more weights to balance the alloy's and it's common sense you generally don't bother trying to balance any Interco tire.I've had to balance a set of 24" rim/tire combo,what a joke as not one took less then 50oz to balance.For those of you that don't like wheel weights showing or have rims that can not have pound on weights on the outer bead your going to require more weight then dynamicly balancing a tire.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you check Dynabead's website, they do give the "hybrid" approach as one option - leaving the normal wheel weights on, and adding only about half the normal weight of dynabeads they'd recommend for that application, to smooth things out even further. They said this helps correct any uneven wear or out of balance condition that might occur in between normal rotation and balance intervals.

As far as the normal weights, they caution that if you have a lateral (side to side) imbalance on the tire - ie, you only have weights on one side - to leave the weights on, as the dynabeads will not correct a lateral imbalance.

Another caution is that you need to make sure that there isn't any grease/tire soap/tire lube inside the rim or tire from when the tires were mounted on the rim - otherwise the beads will get stuck and clumped in this goo and you could be in for one wild ride.

I had thought about trying them on the new set of Michelins I recently had installed - until I read the part about the goo inside the tire - those college kids at Discount Tire literally slathered that crap all over the sidewalls and rims - I can imagine how much they glopped INSIDE the tires.:favorites68:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
or just use airsoft pellets.......

This. Husband has been using these on van tires for awhile now, and likes them. He hasn't had any issues with the balance since installing them.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Now that Canada Post has been ordered back to work...
Hopefully I'll get my 25 ounces (5 X 5 oz. bags) of Dyna
beads some time this year!
Then I'll do a comprehensive write up / opinion of them.

Canada Post!
What a bunch of K9 procreators!
You would think that those Dyna Beads had to roll across the country
under their own power to get here!