dumped exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The IVIinority

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I decided to do something with my exhaust. I have a thrush glasspack on it now, but it's too loud for me. I also have thrush welded muffler laying around. I was thinking about replacing my cat with the glasspack and installing the thrush welded. U was just wandering if it would be ok to run this setup? I would also like to dump it after the axle with a chrome tip like some of the truck guys do. Right now the tip is run straight out the back just under the bumper, I can also leave it how it is. What's everyone's thoughts on this.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Unless you have an inspection connection you may want to check with the state regs. I'm a former PA resident and don't think that'll pass.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Gotcha! I've always worried about fumes with the after axle dump. Probably no big deal when moving but if stuck in traffic etc. I have considered doing it with my pickup but don't know if I'd try it with the KJ. Not so much worried about gassing myself but just don't want to smell the money I'm burning. Also, I can already get some fumes when I gun it with the sunroof opened with my dual catback.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Leave the cat in place, install the Thrush welded and leave the tailpipe on
removing it will just make more noise in the cabin which you are trying to get rid of it seems

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I decided to do something with my exhaust. I have a thrush glasspack on it now, but it's too loud for me. I also have thrush welded muffler laying around. I was thinking about replacing my cat with the glasspack and installing the thrush welded. U was just wandering if it would be ok to run this setup? I would also like to dump it after the axle with a chrome tip like some of the truck guys do. Right now the tip is run straight out the back just under the bumper, I can also leave it how it is. What's everyone's thoughts on this.

First off, what you want to do is illegal in PA and in the US. Most websites also forbid discussions of illegal activity. It will also turn on your engine light. So what? How will you know a problem is starting, until you're broke down, because the engine light has been on for so long?

Next, you're complaining of noise, so you want to cut off the cats(should have a pair of them if it is a V6) and installing another fart can muffler, and dumping it under the body? The cats do a lot for cutting the noise down. So that will not help your situation at all. Next, dumping it under the vehicle is going to make it even more obnoxious. Cut the thrush trash off, and put a regular muffler in. Cheaper, and easier, and fixes the real issue.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
He has an 02 so they would of had two up front, one on either side then the " third " one which is in front of the muffler
But yes any removal of an cat is illegal not matter if you get an inspection or not which in Pa you must

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
First off, what you want to do is illegal in PA and in the US.

Definitely should not remove the cats. Cat removal is definitely illegal. Illegal is illegal whether you get caught or not. I was addressing the post axle dump. Not sure about the legality of that. Would move the outlet of your noise and fumes closer to you so not gonna help your noise issues.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cats aren't all that restrictive, not to the point where you'd notice a performance improvement without. Dumping the exhaust down right after the rearend can give you a droning noise that's going to annoy your ears. All the way out the back would be what you want, since you don't like too much noise.

The IVIinority

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so back to my main question. Would it be ok for me to run the welded and use the glasspack like a resonator?

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so back to my main question. Would it be ok for me to run the welded and use the glasspack like a resonator?

Where are you going to put it? Do you want it to not make noise, or do you want it to continue to sound like a pissed off bee? Put the stock type muffler in and your problems are solved. Its not like you gained 10hp with the setup you have. Its a simple problem, with a simple solution. It sounds to me you are trying to make mountains out of mole hills.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Not sure why you want to do that, the glasspack is a straight through design that will not dampen the sound any at all, or very very little. Not worth the hassle of trying to get it all to fit. Don't think there is enough room to fit the converter, a glass pack and a muffler in there anyways.
Just install the turbo muffler with the tailpipe BEHIND the third converter and be done
Plus to be quite honest if you remove the third converter and install the glasspack I'd bet it would even be louder

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine dumped right before the rear axle,but I still have all 3 cats in place.I had to do that for clearance issues and run a 4" MagnaFlow race muffler,very loud but zero drone.It is about between the Flowmaster 40 and flowmaster 10 series for sound level,but again zero drone in my case.

I'm also almost legally deaf also I like loud.

The IVIinority

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I said screw it! I just decided to weld up the glasspack nice and close to the floor and tuck a nice stainless tip under the bumper. I also painted it black. I like black. Lol

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of glasspack was it, did it have perforated holes or louvers inside? In the past, I've done what you did, but probably wouldn't waste my time again unless the cat was shot. The glasspack quieted down the tone a noticeable bit, but not as much as the cat did.

Members online

No members online now.