Driving feels different in differenty liberties

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving feels different in different liberties

I have a 2003 KJ and I was recently driving a 2007 KJ today. I noticed that the 2007 KJ had more of a delayed reaction and what felt like a different acceleration.

I can't really describe it other than it just really drives and reacts differently.

Same goes for the steering and braking. It seems like I have to steer harder and brake harder in my 2003 KJ, but in the 2007 KJ I just had to lightly use the brakes and the steering felt much more assisted, especially around tight turns.

Was curious if anyone else noticed these differences between the KJ's or if I'm just crazy. (or if these things can be adjusted on our KJs)

Thx guys!

Last edited:

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 KJ and I was recently driving a 2007 KJ today. I noticed that the 2007 KJ had more of a delayed reaction and what felt like a different acceleration.

I can't really describe it other than it just really drives and reacts differently.

Same goes for the steering and braking. It seems like I have to steer harder and brake harder in my 2003 KJ, but in the 2007 KJ I just had to lightly use the brakes and the steering felt much more assisted, especially around tight turns.

Was curious if anyone else noticed these differences between the KJ's or if I'm just crazy. (or if these things can be adjusted on our KJs)

Thx guys!

The 07 has ABS which is the reason why the it feels like you don't have to press the brake so hard and throttle by wire I believe which gives you the delayed throttle reaction vs cable throttle and no ABS on the 03.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
But...what explains the steering??? Ball joints, perhaps?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
number of miles, how its been taken care of, type and size of tires, plus what Troy stated
all of the above will change the way one model handles compared to another, even ones the same year but with above differences

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 07 has ABS which is the reason why the it feels like you don't have to press the brake so hard and throttle by wire I believe which gives you the delayed throttle reaction vs cable throttle and no ABS on the 03.

Figured that was it. I like the feel of my '03 cause that's what I've been used to anyway haha ... but the more manual control makes it feel like I'm more in control of it.

I guess if I were in a situation that required quick braking and I wasn't prepared, then the ABS could come in handy.

number of miles, how its been taken care of, type and size of tires, plus what Troy stated
all of the above will change the way one model handles compared to another, even ones the same year but with above differences

They do have different tire dimensions, maybe tire pressures also are affecting the steering.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do have different tire dimensions, maybe tire pressures also are affecting the steering.

The cold weather will drop your tire presssure too and possibly have an effect on driving.

Dave

PS........just realized you were in Florida Chris.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truth be told. Same car models of the same year can drive very differently if tires and pressures are different. Mileage probably has a strong effect on it too.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
As already pointed out, all Liberty's will drive differently.
Take our '04 KJ compared to LibertyTC's '04 KJ.
both have high quality lift kits. Our's a Frankenlift with Rancho shocks, Tim's OME with Bilstein shocks, both HD Coil springs, both have Goodyear tires...
His Silent Armour our's M/T R Kevlar.
Both have the exact same SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers as well as JBA GEN4.5 upper control arms
Both have added weight added up front. His a pushbar our's a winch and mount...
Both handle and drive totally different!
His softer, our's firmer; both drive very well but totally different!
Oh, and his has 1/3 the milage compared to our's

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My Jeep needs new steering bushings and then beat on my heep in some fun tails Ryan.
I think mine is softer valved with the Bilstiens and still a relatively new spring thing.
Too Bad I could not find the ole Rancho's.
Your's is well settled (now way firmer) and those awesome MTR's lead the way in off road prowess and road feel.
Lets put it this way, you can hear Ryan coming down the highway.
42583[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I think it is time to finally get some Lights mounted too!
I really like the Rigid D2's LED ones we were talking about last night.
http://www.rigidindustries.com/D2-p/d2.htm

Attachments

• JeepRyanLights.jpg
    JeepRyanLights.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As already pointed out, all Liberty's will drive differently.

His Silent Armour our's M/T R Kevlar.

His softer, our's firmer; both drive very well but totally different!
Oh, and his has 1/3 the milage compared to our's

That's why IMO. Tires make a bigger difference than most think. I have BFG KMs and mine feels like a tank... that handles like a sport truck!!!

Alignment specs have a lot to do with steering feel too. The more caster you have the easier it will be to turn the wheel.

... and EF that damn throttle by wire.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother's '06 feels different than my '05. Lots of things could be at play. Especially tires and suspension wear.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes me think, do they even make any new vehicles that uses mechanical direct acceleration/gas pedal like we had in my 04 KJ? It seems like everything is drive by wire. (I don't care for the term, I would assume drive by wire should be the direct gas pedal term because our KJ actually had a thin wire going from the gas pedal to the throttle sensor, now that's drive by wire) :)