Driver side window jumped track - HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While out today in my 2006 Liberty, the drivers side window went limp ..I'm assuming it's just off the rails & isn't that difficult of a fix (but an expensive on if taken to a shop!)

Has anyone dealt with / fixed this in the past? I need step by step instructions on door panel removal & fixing the power window

Thanks!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another window regulator in a '04+ KJ that bites the dust.You will need and new window regulator,something like $200 part.There is a TSB for it,not sure it correctly fixes it or not but it requires a new window also.

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TSB? what is that?
The motor seems to be working as I can hear it operating ..Glass is fine also - can't I just pull the door panel & put the window back in the track without this costing me hundreds of dollars? Hell, I just bought it in February!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TSB? what is that?
The motor seems to be working as I can hear it operating ..Glass is fine also - can't I just pull the door panel & put the window back in the track without this costing me hundreds of dollars? Hell, I just bought it in February!!
A little plastic piece in the regulator breaks,that piece attaches your window to the regulator.The motor will still work.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

Also known as a common problem that has a fix published for it by the manufacturer.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this only in 04+ models?? When i had the door panels off in my 03' to repair the front speakers i didn't see any plastic that could break.

I would be fabricating something before spending $200.

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome ...from what I'm reading you're right, this seems like an extremely common problem on a global scale! I'm also reading where people have taken their Libby's in and been told they need new glass too - What a crock!

I bought an extended warranty with the vehicle but, I'm betting this probably isn't covered

I appreciate the fast reply & good info ...Do you know where I can find this TSB?

Thanks for the help

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome ...from what I'm reading you're right, this seems like an extremely common problem on a global scale! I'm also reading where people have taken their Libby's in and been told they need new glass too - What a crock!

I bought an extended warranty with the vehicle but, I'm betting this probably isn't covered

I appreciate the fast reply & good info ...Do you know where I can find this TSB?

Thanks for the help
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

Seems a newer TSB has come out also...............
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39643

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the TSB's but nothing on recalls or that Chrysler is addressing this matter at their cost, not ours .. from what I'm reading, this is easily going to cost me $500 - This is BS considering we the taxpayers are now "owners" of this company

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the TSB's but nothing on recalls or that Chrysler is addressing this matter at their cost, not ours .. from what I'm reading, this is easily going to cost me $500 - This is BS considering we the taxpayers are now "owners" of this company
Bad window regulators will never be a recall.

Recalls are major safety issues like lower ball joints or airbag systems,window regulators going bad is a convenience item and is non life threatening.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad window regulators will never be a recall.

Recalls are major safety issues like lower ball joints or airbag systems,window regulators going bad is a convenience item and is non life threatening.

If your windows are down and you can't put them up i consider that a safety item.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! Depending on where you live/work, and the route to get there, it might just be a safety issue - but try and convince a dealer of that. I couldn't get them to replace the glass due to the scratches caused when the regulator failed, and the rear drivers side window dropped out of sight into the door the first time!

Since then, I have replaced that same regulator 4 times (once for the passenger's side rear as well). In fact, I just replaced it again, after having it replaced in March. It hadn't been used more that a couple dozen times :eek:

Fortunately, mine is now under an extended warrenty purchased through the dealer where I bought it used, as the Chrysler warrenty has expired (replaced the first two times under Chrysler warrenty). This dealer has treated me right for years, and didn't even charge me the deductable for this last time.

I keep a roll of the wide blue painter's tape in the Jeep for just in case my windows start sinking into the abyss of the door. When it's pushing 110 degrees or more, you can't be driving around with the windows open.

BTW, I was told by service department that some of the regulator for these where on a 12 month back-order...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your windows are down and you can't put them up i consider that a safety item.
How? Side windows are convenience items like the heater,A/C system,power door locks,power seats,and the radio.

Only the front and rear glass are big safety items.

When it's pushing 110 degrees or more, you can't be driving around with the windows open.
You sure can,I had my windows open all the time when it was 145 degrees outside(granted not in my KJ but HMMWV in Iraq,no A/C).

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through all my paperwork last night & discovered this IS covered under the extended warranty I purchased (Thank God) now it's just a matter of getting it done ...Reading Uncle Krusty's post regarding long back orders is a little disheartening though ..Hopefully, I won't encouter that problem too & if I do, screw it! I'll buy a regulator and install the darn thing myself

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How? Side windows are convenience items like the heater,A/C system,power door locks,power seats,and the radio.

Hmm, lets see. You can't see where your driving if your going through a downpour and your window is down and you can't block the rain from your face. Rain on the electronics can cause shorts. HAIL of course, though its bad in other ways, but smaller hail will bounce off the window, no window to close and your the target.

Winds, dust, debris, anything that the windows keep out on a normal day. Even the passing bad guy that might otherwise try to jack you with a knife.

The list goes on and on.

Also if you were in a rollover the side windows do provide some protection, look at the NTSB reports on injuries caused by having the windows down versus up.

I don't think of a window as a convenience item. It's part of the body of the vehicle, an integral part of the vehicle to protect its contents.

Your telling me your going to park and leave all your windows down and see no problem with that? Then your the reason why insurance rates are going up!

Anyway, i looked at pictures of the regulator and the piece it attaches to on the bottom of the glass. I can re-engineer that myself instead of pay $200 for a new one.

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KB I totally agree with you but now that the Obongo administration controls (wait, are'nt those OUR tax dollars???) Chrysler, we are all going to get screwed ..I simply cannot fathom how the American public (legal, tax paying citizens that is) can continue to sit back and watch these politicians run our Country into the ground and turn us into a marxist type society .... Our founding Fathers must be rolling over in their graves!

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While the issue is well known, Chrysler will not do a recall as stated in several posts above. There is a different route you can take...

It's called a "courtesy warranty". I've had two of my regulators fixed with in the past month and a half and my service writer offered it to me. There is a $100.00 deductible, but that sure beats the standard $200.00~$300.00 out of pocket.

They new TSB does call for a new window... my dealer even replaced the tint at no extra charge. It pays to be a good customer and develop a relationship with your service writer....

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks AZ ....I bought this used from a large Ford dealer in our area & I believe they have a Jeep store also ...I bought a "platinum" coverage extended warranty with the vehicle (money well spent) and I'm going to call them first thing ...I'm still wondering why they need to replace the glass though ...Nothing wrong with what I have (tinted) now except that it's fallen into the door .. I'm hoping this doesn't create to much drama as the week ahead is scheduled pretty heavily for me ..Guess it's never a good time eh?

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm already on my 3rd regulator on my driver door and my front passanger window will be replaced in week. The driver door has the "new dealer Fix" Which is replacing the regulator and new window. That seems to be working so far and the same will be done to passanger.

Glad to hear you have the warranty. My factory warranty is up on my 06 in October. I've already told my dealer I won't pay for the regulators/windows after the warranty is up. Why should I pay for something they can't fix.

Last edited:

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Only the front and rear glass are big safety items.

You sure can,I had my windows open all the time when it was 145 degrees outside(granted not in my KJ but HMMWV in Iraq,no A/C).

TJKJ2002,

I'm an Arizona native (yes, they do exist) and 110 to me is nothing. I've even owned a few cars w/o AC over the years, so the high temp thing is trivial. But revese that and drive it on a below-zero day in Minnisota...

Forget about all the issues kb0nly made, most of which are quite valid.

For us Macho Types , leaving the vehicle with a window down is no big thing...

But... explain to your wife/girlfriend how she has to take it to work, the mall, etc... especially at night... and how with her finger on he "panic" button of the remote, she has to check the back seat/cargo area for THUGS... BEFORE she even unlocks the doors to get in.

Then... convince her that it is a "convienence", not a "safety Issue".

(P.S. Might want to pick up the flowers on the way home so you're ewady for the apology that will follow -when she'll talk to you again... Or call 1800-FLOWERS to have them delivered after she kicks you out)

BTW, locking doors with the windows down is kind'a pointless - isn't it? :confused: I know it arms the alarm, but...

Please, take this in the good humor it was intended, I too didn't get how women think until I was married... and my wife says I still don't.

I was just trying to make a point that others could use when haggling with the dealer over fixing an obviously defective part.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah an open window at -30 air temp seems like a pretty good safety issue to me, windows would be icing over from your breath despite the defrost on full blast, reducing visibility, to me thats a safety issue.

Latest posts

Members online