Drive shaft problem? (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
today I was changing the oil, dropped the skids, changed front, then rear differential, then I dropped the transfer case skid to change its fluid, and I noticed thisthick circle of grease, looks like it got sprayed off of the front drive shaft where it connects to the transfercase, was there a boot there? the drive shaft it's self was clean and had no grease on it,
the transfer case was full and fluid was like new(i did all same the fluids 9.5k ago)

thoughts suggestions,
can it do more damage if my wife takes it to Camp Jejeune next week?
thanks for you help

also if I need a new drive shaft, how do I know how long mine is, I remember reading here that there is 3 different lengths?

here it is on one side of drive shaft
You must be registered for see images attach

continues around to other side of drive shaft

wasthere a boot here? it looks pretty dry

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the link,

do you think I will need just the cv joint?
or drive shaft too, how would I know how long the drive shaft I need is?
can you remove both the cv joint and drive shaft and still drive with it off?(just no 4x4)

thanks

just the cv I think. Look on here and there is plenty info on how to remove the front drive shaft. You can drive it without the drive shaft installed. Just don't pull it up into 4hi. If mine ever goes I think I would like to try that cv that is posted. Try it, I think you may be the first unless I'm mistaken. It should be all you need.

Midgear

Reaction score

correct, that's where I got mine, just make sure you tell him what length you need.

I installed this CV,so far so good. I do wonder about the other CV though. As for length,there is a sticker on the shaft,use that number.

OR, you can grab you a tape measure and measure the shaft's length from each friction weld on either end of the shaft. Give this length to Eric and he'll get you the correct drive shaft. I ordered the wrong one and had to ship it back for the correct length because I failed to measure. The friction welds are the little raised areas where the ends of the shaft were welded together, you can see the friction weld in your photos right next to that balancing weight.

Looking at your driveshaft, the boot is still there, but it may have a slit or crack in it, allowing grease to escape. not something I would put off for too long.

Last edited:

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct, that's where I got mine, just make sure you tell him what length you need.

OR, you can grab you a tape measure and measure the shaft's length from each friction weld on either end of the shaft. Give this length to Eric and he'll get you the correct drive shaft. I ordered the wrong one and had to ship it back for the correct length because I failed to measure. The friction welds are the little raised areas where the ends of the shaft were welded together, you can see the friction weld in your photos right next to that balancing weight.

Looking at your driveshaft, the boot is still there, but it may have a slit or crack in it, allowing grease to escape. not something I would put off for too long.

Yeah I am going to pull the shaft tonight when my wife gets home doesn't look too hard, 5 8mm bolts on each side if I remeber right,
I rember reading somewhere about putting a mark on both drive shaft and the parts that remain in the jeep for remounting, need to be done if replacing the shaft?

Midgear

Reaction score
Yeah I am going to pull the shaft tonight when my wife gets home doesn't look too hard, 5 8mm bolts on each side if I remeber right,
I rember reading somewhere about putting a mark on both drive shaft and the parts that remain in the jeep for remounting, need to be done if replacing the shaft?

not that I'm aware of.. just line up the holes and re torque the bolts. that's what I did anyways lol.. no problems.

I do believe there are 6 bolts per side, each set of two has this metal clip that I assume serves as a washer, not sure if this applies to newer year models.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks

yeah, I guess I should add a sigg, I have an 02 rene

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone have one of these on?
http://alldrivelines.com/Jeep.html

just wondering Eric doesn't have the P52111597 - 19" drive shaft in stock ATM, checking to see when he might get one in

any problems with driving with out the front drive shaft for a few weeks or months?

or anyone else can recommend another place for reasonable front drive shafts

thanks

Midgear

Reaction score
any problems with driving with out the front drive shaft for a few weeks or months?
thanks

yea, 4wd wont work LOL (sarcasm)

with the front drive shaft completely removed from the vehicle, yes, you can drive around without it, just don't attempt anything stupid like putting it in 4WD without the front drive shaft..

when I took mine out I had this thought of putting it in 4LO and doing a burnout.. didn't take me long to realize that this woulda been a rather stupid idea.

remove your drive shaft and clean out the sockets of any grease (if any) that may be in there to keep from splattering all over the place, mine had grease in the socket- not sure how or why, but there was grease.

and on a random note, just to clarify, the front socket on the differential end will still rotate without the drive shaft in there, incase you were wondering.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, 4wd wont work LOL (sarcasm).

ah man,

well got it out here is sum pics of the torn boot, no grease in the joints

hardest part about removing it was trying to the shaft between the bottom of the jeep and the top of the exhaust, very tight, I thought about taking out the spring type screws that held the exhaust together, but tried a little longer

Any other recommendations on where to get a drive shaft since Eric's out of stock?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use a shaft like the one in that link,you will damage your KJ more then what a new OEM driveshaft would run.It is the wrong style of driveshaft for the front application in a KJ with IFS still.

I'll even break out the pics,shows rear but the same applies to the front..............

And some light reading...........
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to know, thanks,
won't be using that then