Dome light not cooperating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New little glitch in the inner workings of Mr. Darcy. As of friday morning, I cannot control the dome light over the back seat. I first noticed getting in after work Friday morning and I thought that I had left the back gate open so I got out and reclosed all the doors even though I didn't have an open door message. That light stayed on. I played with the dash dimmer, turned lights on and off, but it seems I have no control. The only time it will turn off is after I turn off the ignition and leave it for I'd say about 20 minutes but I assume this is the battery saving system kicking in. As soon ad I unlock or open the doors the light goes back on and the others fade out.

I can't imagine why Mr. Darcy would be mad at me, we've had an awesome week. My only solution is to go have fun but if anyone has actual advice that might actually affect the light it would be very much appreciated.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not insulting your intelligence, but have u tried pushing the light in? It operates the on/off switch manually. Maybe you pushed it in lifting something in or out of the back? Just push on the lens and you will feel it click and then see what happens. Steve :smokin:

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.... This is where I get the dunce cap. I had no idea the lights in the back had buttons. I assumed that since they didn't have the black buttons like the front light there must not be any other option. But that is why I am on the forum! I must have hit the light when I was putting my new tires in the back seat, which was a beautiful thing for the record. Thank you so much for that tidbit of knowledge!

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.... This is where I get the dunce cap. I had no idea the lights in the back had buttons. I assumed that since they didn't have the black buttons like the front light there must not be any other option. But that is why I am on the forum! I must have hit the light when I was putting my new tires in the back seat, which was a beautiful thing for the record. Thank you so much for that tidbit of knowledge!

No Worries! If only everyting in life was that easy to fix eh? :happy175: Glad you're sorted. Steve :smokin:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Don't feel bad ... did it myself when I first got her ... something I was hauling in the back must have pushed up on the dome. Took me a half hour to figure it out. lmao

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Kj can have some unique interior light issues. Both the front map & rear cargo once manually depressed will stay on until they are pushed again.
I have seen where the front lights come on when you open a door, close the door lights go off (within 30 seconds ) normal. Then you go manually open the rear glass and no lights come on at all, until you click on the cargo light. Then you close the glass lights stay on, until you click on cargo light again. (Dont ask me) must be e Jeep thing.
Personally I think because the BCM controls a power saver feature to turn off headlights etc after 8 minutes, and interior lights after 30 seconds, somehow the sensor voltage as when stuff is left on is somehow getting confused by the manual override of clicking on the cargo lamp. One morning I awoke to all the interior lights on all night, even though they went out before I left, but had used cargo light click on off once that night.
I now park KJ with all interior lights off at multi-function switch (dimmer all the way down to off)