Doing some maintenance today :D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termnatr

Reaction score
I thought when you did this mod it was suggested that you use a relay and extra power as not to have problem with factory wiring and computer.

I myself would like to do the mod on my 04 liberty but don't want to run into any total melt down or electrical problems.

Thanks for any help or input.

--termnatr

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about adding and inline fuse on the hot wire of each light?
It's not the added amps that a 65watt bulb draws over the 27watt bulb that is the issue.The issue is the extra heat the 65watt bulb produces compared to the 27watt bulb.The OE foglight is not designed for a 65watt bulb and can not handle all the extra heat over time so something will melt and 99% of the time it will be the connector.

It's not like it happens overnight or everytime you use the foglights.If your like me and like to do long trips at night with less traffic your most likely going to use the fogs more and for longer durations.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is a good point. I wasnt thinking heat earlier.

I priced the pig tails today. $12 per pair at AAP

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The low beam lights on my company 07 new style silverado were also 65 watts, the connectors on that kept melting and now gm has replaced them with 55 watts and has gone back to the old connector, the new one had a different tab. So 27 to 65 is a big leap in heat.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is a good point. I wasnt thinking heat earlier.

I priced the pig tails today. $12 per pair at AAP
I check mine every few months.Granted ever since I installed the ARB bumper I have only had to replace the connectors once in almost 6 years.The ARB allows more airflow around the fog lamp housings and attached to metal unlike the OEM plastic bumper which traps there heat and bolted to plastic.

Latest posts

Members online