Dodge Nitro Uses Liberty Frame, Suspension, Engine & Tra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The soon to be released new Dodge Nitro will use the Liberty frame, engine, suspension, & transmission. And be built in the Toledo plant. Maybe old news to some. A Chrysler exec made the statement that Libertys tend to be female orientated, but the Nitro is intended to be male orientated. WTF? He should be made to eat his words.
http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=4170747

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah..it's been said here before..but....we got more new members...so....

that exec should come here..and see how much testosterone is flowing about...

ya know it's becoming a sausage fest here again...

where all the girls at....?!

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pics

http://mbelow.dyndns.org:8080/Coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=17

I like that the rear seat fold flat and the back are rubberized (I'm sure that costs extra. The nav system looks cool too. But where there hell is the spare tire. I like that it's not on the back, but it doesn't look like it's underneath and there isn't enough room in the back end to put it inside like the GC's, not on the roof either...hmmmm. The seats and interior of the doors a fugly. And no grocery bag hooks!?! A trail rated badge would increase it's off-road capabilities tremendously.

I wonder if they'll be available with a HEMI from the get go? The only vehicle Dodge makes that's more manly than a Jeep is a big diesel truck.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Platform: A fixed set of points that allow a vehicle to be built on the same assembly line.

Engine/Transmission/Suspension - don't define a platform.

With that said, yup, they are on the same platform.... they're built on the same line.

And I like the Nitro.... but alas, most Liberty buyers are women. But who cares, drive them anyway. Forum population is smaller than the entire population and it's a known fact that most forums are male biased. Women just don't join them as much as we do.

Sniff Sniff, I smell sausage too, Jon. lol3.gif

You must be registered for see images

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ok...stupid question

If the Liberty is a KJ...and the Nitro is to be Liberty-based...will the Nitro also be a KJ?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie said:
ok...stupid question

If the Liberty is a KJ...and the Nitro is to be Liberty-based...will the Nitro also be a KJ?

The two letter designation is just a Jeep thing. Goes way back to the start. See the following link:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2107

Anyway, guys just admit it, we're just all girly-men! owned.gif rofl2.gif rockon.gif wavey.gif

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed the Volvo style head rests, the ones with the hole in them, they are also used on the Dakota, wonder if DC is starting a trend towards them

Bob

Old Navy

Reaction score
Out of all the Jeep Libertys in this small town of 18,000 I have only ever seen one being driven by a lone male. I have seen on a two of ocassions guys like me with their wife driving a Liberty. We know about 1/2 dozen people with Liberty's and they are all driven by the woman of the house. These women have only one complaint and that's the 15 to 16 mpg they get in town. Another friend of the wife's is driving an '04 Liberty V6 60 miles one way 3 days a week for her work, is real interested in the CRD and had a lot of questions that I had to answer one evening when she came by to listen to and take a short drive.

She was amazed it only got 12,500 mile oil changes and with her driving habits (never drive's faster then 58 mph) that a 32 to 34 mpg (my guess is (34 to 36 mpg highway, driving like that, but I didn't want to over do it for her) driving would be possable over her 24 mpg best in here gasser Liberty. She is planning on ordering an '06 after the first of the year.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really dont like the nitro too much. the interior looks cheesy to me and i wish dodge would be more creative with their grills. does every dodge have to have the same grill? mix it up dcx! and from what ive read they r only gonna be awd. so i dont think they will be as capable as the liberty in terms of off-roading. i like my libby much better.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fasto82 said:
i really dont like the nitro too much. the interior looks cheesy to me and i wish dodge would be more creative with their grills. does every dodge have to have the same grill? mix it up dcx! and from what ive read they r only gonna be awd. so i dont think they will be as capable as the liberty in terms of off-roading. i like my libby much better.

Jeep has stuck with the same idea for the Grill...Just another way to market.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the jeep grill looks good though. the dodge crosshairs are too open and too boring. thats how i feel about it at least.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
IMO, dodge looks fine..well it works w/ their other cars tho..not so much on the nitro....

looks better than the nissan waterfall type design.....

Members online