DIY Engine mods for a jeep liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huzels

Reaction score
please post your ideas here or let me know what you have done to your liberty, mine is a 2002 sport.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes do all required maintenance
Plugs changed at least every 30,000 miles ( NGK coppers )
Coolant system flushed and new HOAT coolant
Air pressure kept up where it should be
clean paper air filter

Thats about it, CAIs, etc do not work,
Its a Jeep, runs very well for what its suppose to do
Unless you want to tear it down, custom ground cams. head work, computer reprogrammed, and many other things, you are done
Trust me, after 14 years of building these KJs , thats the best you can do

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 3.7 is a mule, not a thoroughbred. which is why I bought it. :D

now if I wanted to get weird and make a liberty with power, I'd grab a 2.4L and convert it to turbo (SRT-4 style.) :D

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contrary to my snarky (but justified) comment in your other, duplicate thread, my legit answer to this is: Don't.

You've seen this echoed. It's meant to be a well-maintained medium duty, long lasting platform. A Jeep with nice amenities that you can daily drive, take to the trails and off road, get some work done then go get the kids from school.

Do all your maintenance, do it often, repair broken items immediately before they cascade into a list of issues as long as your arm.

Don't go changing this or that, things designed by people smarter than most of us and designed that way for a reason (other than the cost-saving reasons). These KJ's have been on the road now for 16 years, and they do well. They do BETTER when they're kept in stock, as-built condition.

I'm not excluding improvements like proper spring lift kits, swapping to 4.10 axles from the 4cyls, or things like that... but as far as drive train goes, the only thing I can think of that actually helps is improving the transmission cooler arrangement. And depending on what you do with the KJ, that isn't even universally 100% needed.