DIY CAI & Other CAI Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Jeep Liberty
4x4 Standard V6 no mods
134k miles

Being the poor man I am, I am interested in building my own CAI or for those of you unfamiliar, Cold Air Intake. I plan to buy a filter and most likely PVC pipe to ensure I can shape it correctly and cut it to length easily. Has anyone done this before? It seems straight forward to me. It may even be easier to remove the airbox and just use the original tubing that's there and add a filter to the end of it and set up se mounts. Thoughts?
Next, roughly how much horse power gain will I achieve with a CAI? I've read a few things but does anyone know how for KJs specifically?

-J

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From everything I've been reading it would be a waste of time as you will not gain anything. Can't say I've tried a CAI personally on the KJ to give first hand experience though.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time or money on them as they won't do anything. The stock airbox is the best you can get, plus if you get the filter wet when your offroading boom goes the engine.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought mine September 04, installed a Rustys tube and K&N on mine soon after, ran it for over 20,000 miles JUNK
more dirt/dust in the tube, power wise nothing, just sounded loud as the air went sucking in.
Switched back to stock box with a 3 inch hose leading into the grill much better mileage, power runs smoother etc
So save your money, headaches etc. Unless you just like to hear it sucking air all the time, thats all the benefits you'll get

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the heads up. Ill just stay away from it altogether then. I appreciate your time.

-J

Latest posts

Members online