Dino/Synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone switched from dino to synthetic ( 3.7 liter ) and if so did you notice any changes/benefits from it. (runs better and or smoother, or better gas mileage???). Is it worth the extra $$?? I would have to maintain the 3000-3200 mile change intervals as I'm still under warranty and would not want to have someone tell me "it's not covered since you didn't follow the service schedule".............Just looking for your experiences and thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Dave

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched to synth in my wrangler and it feels like it starts better and runs smoother. I also added a K&N drop-in air filter and on days when the wind is calm i can get almost 21 MPG out of it. I really don't know how much they enforce the voiding warranty because of not changing the oil every 3000 miles. I doubt my father did that with the wrangler and they never denied me coverage but there was never anything wrong w/ the engine. Once it's time for my new liberty's oil change I'll be using synth.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
did the same...runs smoother....notice the throttle response was a bit better, but, that is very subjective....gained bout 1-2 mpg...

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definately worth the extra cash. I did go full synthetic, but still noticed what improvements in starting (espically in the cold winters), throttle response. Synthetic protects and lubs your engine better and will last longer. You will get additional mpg's and HP's. Next oil change might go full synthetic, but definately won't go back to dino.

2003KJ

Reaction score
just switched mine on the last change, and i've put on 2K this month alone, so i've driven the crap out of it with this first run of synthetic.

I can't give you a good estimate of around town MPG as most of my driving lately has been highway.....but on the highway i've been getting around 23-24 with out the cruise, with the cruise i can get about 25.....pretty damn respectable for a 2-ton, 4x4, V6 Jeep if you ask me.

I also did notice it ran smoother.....alot more quiet on those cold start-ups, no more valve train noise.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'll be switching to synthetic after my next change. I'm still on free changes, heh. Smoother running + better mileage? I'm all for it.

Hey Tim, you better start driving even more... I'm coming up right behind you at 21k!

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would only go back to dino if it was a total emergency and I was out in the middle of nowhere. I do get better MPG on the freeway, at speed. And it's much smoother.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i switched to mobile syn at my second oil change, and went to amsoi for the third. In that time, I've upgraded the exhaust system and air intake, so i don't know how much of the milage increase is directly due to the oil. Winters aren't cold here, and I wasn't having any strange noisea on start up when i began using syn. But since I'm on a 20k miles/yr pace, i figure it was never too early to start taking care of the engine.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and I should have added that my friend, who went to school to learn about oils n such, told me that synth works better in suspending the gunk in your engine to cary it to the filter so then the filter and clean the oil better. I should also mention her buisness card says "Lubricants and Specialties," I told her i had to have one cause it made me think of something a person in and adult store would carry.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GoldBug said:
I should also mention her buisness card says "Lubricants and Specialties," I told her i had to have one cause it made me think of something a person in and adult store would carry.

Just awesome! Can I have one? eek2dance.gif

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I felt fairly prevligaed to get the one she gave me. Maybe I'll ask her if I get to DC Saturday.

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
Syn for me, It gets better milage, smoother, and no dry valve noise on start-up.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses...sounds like synthetic is the way to go. I just talked to a mechanic in town here and he says "if it were mine I'd wait until 10,000 miles or so to let everything break in and then do the switch".

Dave

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definatley go with Synthetic. Your engine is plenty broken in by 5,000 miles to make the switch to a full synthetic. Amsoil is the originator and Leader in the Synthetic oil market. Extended drain intervals will Not affect your warranty and Amsoil will fight any dealer that claims Amsoil caused a problem in that regard. If you would like more info on how Amsoil can save you money email me at jjmat3 @ verizon.net (no spaces)

John

Members online