Diff's Done, Beer Time...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished up the front and rear Diff's today, all the fluids have been changed, all the maintenance is done, ready for winter!!

The front diff was a breeze, the rear was messy but also easy. A 13mm deep well socket works perfect to get inbetween the cover and the gas tank, had it apart in no time. Cleanup took a while as i wasn't going RTV for reassembly and wanted the surfaces clean. New LubeLocker gasket installed, no leakage so far.

Weather slowed me down.. But i got it all done.

Transmission Fluid and Filter
Transfer Case
Belt and Tensioner
Front and Rear Diff
Spark Plugs

All done... And an oil change is coming up. Coolant flush was done with new Radiator last year. I put in fresh fluid for the power steering last fall.

Tires are only one year old now as well...

Shouldn't have anything to do but oil changes for a while now!
Wait !! How about the wipers they ok ? lol Really i just put some on and all ready failing lol

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a note for next time or any one else
jack up the Jeep from the unibody behind the rear wheels
this will allow the axle to drop and it will be very easy to get past the fuel tank

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
this will allow the axle to drop and it will be very easy to get past the fuel tank

Good idea.

Dave

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was very easy without doing all that.

I don't know why anyone has a problem doing this. I just grabbed a deep well socket and my Craftsman extendable breaker bar for more length. just reached up and put the socket on each bolt and away we went. There is only like three bolts hidden behind the gas tank and it only took me like a few minutes to unbolt the cover.

It would have took FAR longer to jack it up and put in jackstands, and you have to drop it back down to ride height for filling anyway, so i skipped jacking it up and back down, would have taken a lot longer than rolling under there to take those three semi-hidden bolts out! And i'm a fat ass and my KJ is at stock ride height and i had no problem.

Or jack from the hitch?
I would jack my TJ to work in the rear diff until I put the Kilby tank skid
on it ,+1" over stock from the ground
and you are raising the body not the rear diff so you can also fill while lifted
making it even easier to empty out the gear lube bottle

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's actually a great idea eclipsee_gold_cup.g:

I've found too that once you get a lift above 4" it's a lot easier to service the diffs too, but that's no happening anytime soon :D