Differential covers and guards.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Memphis, TN where there is more mud than mounta
I intend to make a differential change in the near future, from stock to the Detroit True Track. I'm trying to think of all of the "while I'm in there" scenarios. A question has come up of how to protect the differential, i.e., differential cover, differential guard, HD cover front and guard on the back. A lot of options are out there. I wanted to know from the experienced folks which is better and why. Info: the plan is to get her ready for rocks incrementally. I would like to get her to the point where all that is left is to drop some lockers in and be ready to go. I promise to post any mods that come of this.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the Riddler when the factory LSD broke and I had it replaced with a DTT. The thing is really beefy.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the manner in which the front suspension skid and the bracket that holds the diff to the frame mount make an armored front diff cover kinda not neccessary? I just had mine all apart and had to take the skid and bracket off just to get to the diff. IMO, save yer pennies for something else.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Doesn't the manner in which the front suspension skid and the bracket that holds the diff to the frame mount make an armored front diff cover kinda not neccessary? I just had mine all apart and had to take the skid and bracket off just to get to the diff. IMO, save yer pennies for something else.

That's a good point Ian!
Thanks, another $250.00 saved for something else!

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I saw this thread and I didn't want to make a new one so.......they have opened the OT at work and I'm saving up for a cover and an aussie locker.

anybody has pros and cons on the following:
crane diff cover
riddler (yall already talk about that one :))
ruff stuff
rockcrusher

they are all around $120 so I would like some input from you guys like experiences yall might have had with them and such

thankx
Hector

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of this diff cover. Y'know it really doesn't serve a purpose because you seldom back into rocks you drive into them.
But more importantly it looks awesome :cool: I'm going to start shopping for one this week.
HD diff covers serve a few purposes..........

1-strengthens the diff housing compared to the thin sheet metal cover.

2-has a higher fill plug to compensate for lifted vehicles to get the correct amount of gear oil the diff.

3-just incase for when you do back into that rock or tree stump.

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Memphis, TN where there is more mud than mounta
I know, from the reducer gears that I maintain at work, that over filling gear oil can cause as much trouble as under filling. High fluid levels can prevent "slinging" of lubricant into the top of the casing. Surprisingly, this "slinging" action is responsible for much of the cooling of the lubricant. Has anyone without a lift noticed greater heat or wear from the differential after switching to a cover with a higher fill plug?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has a higher fill plug to compensate for lifted vehicles to get the correct amount of gear oil the diff.QUOTE]

I know, from the reducer gears that I maintain at work, that over filling gear oil can cause as much trouble as under filling. High fluid levels can prevent "slinging" of lubricant into the top of the casing. Surprisingly, this "slinging" action is responsible for much of the cooling of the lubricant. Has anyone without a lift noticed greater heat or wear from the differential after switching to a cover with a higher fill plug?
The higher fill plug is needed for lifted vehicles due to the rear axle get's tilted when you lift.With the stock cover it lowers the fill plug where as the aftermarket HD diff cover compensates for that tilting with a raised fill plug to maintain the correct fluid level.If adding a HD cover to a stock vehicle you must make saure you add the specified amount of gear oil and not till it runs out the fill plug in which case it will be overfull in a non-lifted vehicle.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E-mailed Rokmen, the email link on their page is a no-go from here anyways. I'll be ordering a cover for my rear diff as soon as I can get ahold of them. Thanks for posting the link TJKJ. That is one impressive piece of kit. And sexy as all get out too.