differences in 3.7 V6 between years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some input here folks and weighting some options. Knowing I would need to change reluctor ring, cam sprockets, what would be the best year 3.7 V6 to drop in my 02 Liberty If I was to not rebuild my 02 block?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you already know about the items that need to be replaced for the newer 3.7 to be compatible with the 02, I'm not sure it would matter much as long as it was rebuilt properly or from a low mileage donor which doesn't necessarily have to be a Jeep. I don't believe there were any major changes or improvements over the years and there are many Mopars out there with the 3.7 as Twobobskj has pointed out before.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you can go at least to a 2011 3.7 block from any Chrysler product. You can probably go to a 2014/15 but I can't say for certain.

The donor engine I found came from an '07 Dakota and had only 9700 miles on it. Keep looking for any Chrysler product or a Mitsubishi (Chrysler supplied engines to Mitsubishi for some of their SUV's.)

Bob

clw426

Reaction score
later model years have a pilot bearing in the crankshaft that has to be removed and the driveplates are different.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just put a 4.7 in it and call it a day!! You already have the proper transmission and if you are pulling the motor why not just upgrade.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!! A 4.7 swap would require some wiring now how which is not my specialty. After picking my brain last night I've decided to go forward with rebuilding my current block. My engine rebuild will consist of 2 reconditioned heads with updated nickel chrome valve seats, crank & rod bearings, hone job with new rings, full gaskets w/graphite head gasket, timing chain assy and oil pump. Am I missing anything?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not for get to get a new oil pan. To keep it from rusting out paint the out side of the engine oil pan with POR 15. POR 15 is amazing stuff!!!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Why not just put a 4.7 in it and call it a day!! You already have the proper transmission and if you are pulling the motor why not just upgrade.

Funny how some keep throwing that out there like its 1972 and no big deal. Have yet to hear of any that have been done without any issues and been ran 20-30,000 miles, heck even 1000 miles .Until someone comes out with a kit or a list of exactly what mounts/wiring/headers etc is needed its not something the average person wants to take on, plus if its their DD they want it running in a few days

Last edited:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't believe I will need a new oil pan and also forgot to add new head and rod bolts will be installed. I've looked into the 4.7 swap a little, but only saw of one completed successfully. Don't you need to run a stand alone with this swap as well?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
later model years have a pilot bearing in the crankshaft that has to be removed and the driveplates are different.

Not necessarily. The '07 I used didn't need a bearing removed so the nose of my torque converter fit fine in the end of the crankshaft.

Define "driveplate" - do your you mean flexplate? If so, the flexplate from the original engine is just swapped over. If you don't mean flexplate then...?

Not being a smartaleck - I just want to be sure to pass along good info.

Bob

clw426

Reaction score
My manual refers to it as a driveplate, but I've always thought of them as a flexplate. The 07 doesn't have the bearing in the crank? Wish I'd known that before I swapped an 04 into my 03.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides pilot bearing and locating pins, does any year 3.7 block bolt to the 45RFE ******?

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny how some keep throwing that out there like its 1972 and no big deal. Have yet to hear of any that have been done without any issues and been ran 20-30,000 miles, heck even 1000 miles .Until someone comes out with a kit or a list of exactly what mounts/wiring/headers etc is needed its not something the average person wants to take on, plus if its their DD they want it running in a few days

ahhh ys the good ol days of swapping engines. what the 302 wont do against the 350? well, go home and swap it for the 390 and be back in town for the race in 2hrs (and thats with eating lunch) lol

for the young pups....i can literally pull my 302 and ****** in 45 mins or less. 4 main bolts and a few linkage removals. and reinstall.