Difference between water pump and freeze plug leak diagnosis?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i have an issue with my jeep leaking a small amount of coolant under the center right side of engine compartment. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a quick giveaway for a freeze plug leak vs a water pump? Thank you

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you get under there and see where the trail of coolant is originating from. Wipe it dry if you can't tell, then run the engine while watching for a drip.
By the way, engine blocks don't have freeze plugs, they have sand casting core plugs. ;)

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol i have no idea. Do you know if a sand cast plug leak is a serious repair? The leak is coming from the right side of engine and is dripping slow (some days not at all) down to the oil filter drain guide and then dripping off of that...the water pump looks ok on the top ... But everyone s
You must be registered for see images
ays waterpump...

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug is cheap, labor isn't. Not a serious repair, but how long it takes depends on how accessible it is. You need to trace the water trail further up. A mirror can help you see around obstacles if there's too much crap in the way.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you get under there and see where the trail of coolant is originating from. Wipe it dry if you can't tell, then run the engine while watching for a drip.
By the way, engine blocks don't have freeze plugs, they have sand casting core plugs. ;)

Technically you are right, the plugs are for the sand in the castings, however if you go to the parts store and ask for a sand casting plug, they will look at you like you're on some kind of crack. Just call them a freeze plug which is what they are known as to the parts guy.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't give in to the counter experts, they may thank you some day. I like to leave them baffled for a moment as they drool and stare aimlessly in their misguided notions.
"Eradicating automotive illiteracy one person at a time". ;)
Well, gotta run to the parts scholar store. I need to get me some new break calibers and freon!

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you pulled the belt off to see if there is any lateral movement yet? This is a 5 minute test. I highly suggest this before moving on with a whole bunch of what ifs... My guess is that your gasket has a leak at the bottom right side of the water pump. I could not find where my leak was coming from either until I pulled the water pump. The pump was fine, it was only the gasket. I would just buy the gasket and then remove the pump. Then if it is the pump, you take the gasket back and buy the pump. I didn't do this. I bought the pump, only to find it was just the gasket. If it isn't the gasket, then you are only out a little bit of money, like 8 to 10 dollars instead of 55.00 for the pump.

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No... i have a day off on tuesday and im going to go for it then. I appreciate the help. I figure if I have to take the whole thing off i might as well just replace the pump and save myself the trouble down the road... i have about 103,000 miles on the jeep. I can't afford any other repairs it's been a bad month so im hoping it is the pump. Thanks for the help

frontrangecctv

Reaction score
If you are going to replace the water pump, it might be a good idea and spend an extra $7 and replace the thermostat ($18 for a fail-safe t stat) while your down there. I actually had this same issue you had with my 06 Liberty. Coolant was leaking and dripping into the oil filter drain chute. It was coming from the bottom of the water pump. It appeared it was just a bad gasket, but I went ahead and replaced the pump and thermostat. At 103k miles, if you already haven't done so, it would be a good time to drain or flush coolant system too.

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally found the leak...its at the bottom of the waterpump. I believe its just the seal so i think ill go ahead and replace the pump as well...cant afford dealer pump, is that what you used? its kind of a bummer because i had the coolant flushed at 92,000 miles! Thanls for the help!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally found the leak...its at the bottom of the waterpump. I believe its just the seal so i think ill go ahead and replace the pump as well...cant afford dealer pump, is that what you used? its kind of a bummer because i had the coolant flushed at 92,000 miles! Thanls for the help!!
Napa/Carquest if not using OEM.Stay far away from advance auto parts,autozone,and O'Reilly's for hard engine parts.