Detroit TT question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Opt

Reaction score
Looking to replace my factory trac-lok LSD with the detroit tt, and just wanted to know if it mattered if I had a trac-lok carrier vs. an open carrier in there now??? If I understand correctly, the TT is a complete carrier replacement that requires setting up backlash. (not really a DIY project)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to replace my factory trac-lok LSD with the detroit tt, and just wanted to know if it mattered if I had a trac-lok carrier vs. an open carrier in there now??? If I understand correctly, the TT is a complete carrier replacement that requires setting up backlash. (not really a DIY project)
You got it correct,the DTT is a complete carrier replacement and it doesn't matter if you had a open diff or the OEM trashloc.Good thing is you will not need any friction modifier anymore with the DTT but make sure you get the one for the 29-spline 8.25 and not the 27-spline version.

Opt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... I've done a bit of reading here, but wasn't sure if it was indeed a complete replacement or not, as all of the lunchbox style seemed to require an open carrier.

One good thing about having the trac-lok... it limits my options, and it'll get me into something that will suit my needs better than what I would've probably went with if I had an open carrier.

Last edited:

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the rear end rebuilt next week. The factory LSD is coming out and a DTT is going in. I'll let you know how it goes.

Opt

Reaction score
Sounds good... I'd be interested in your opinion after you get a chance to try out the DTT.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the rear end rebuilt next week. The factory LSD is coming out and a DTT is going in. I'll let you know how it goes.

KYLiberty.....I am real curious how much difference there is between the factory trac-loc and DTT.

Let us know after you have a chance to test it out.

Thanks
Dave

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be long before the dry and rain cornering and handling will be tested. If it is nice and wet on a weekend I'll try to get out to the farm for a little off road test. This is KY, so the snow and ice report is going to take a little while.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my Jeep back today. The factory trashloc had actually come apart partially and damaged the pinion bearing. That's the bearing problem I was hearing and had just started to feel. So far, the DTT behaves extremely well on dry ground while cornering. Can't even tell it's there. It seems to hook up well, but I want to put a few miles on it before I actually test a launch with it. We're supposed to get storms on Friday, so I should be able to report on wet roads then. I'm not sure if I can make it out to the farm Saturday, but if I can I will test it in some mud.

I still need to take it back over to Cottman. For some reason they didn't even open the box for my HD axle shafts. Rusty must have had one of his employees do the work because that just is not like him. I'm sure he'll get it taken care of, but it's inconvienient. It will be more work for them too.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so far there is no comparison between the DTT and trashlock in the rain. The DTT works MUCH better. Hopefully I can make it out to the farm to play in a little mud tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online