Detroit Lockers with Selectrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting front and rear lockers. This is my daily driver with weekend fun thrown in a few times a year. Would the DTT for the front be fine with the selectrac? I read in an older post it might cause issues with full time that I use in bad weather (flooded roads, snow, etc.) but other posts said its fine. I might be wrong but I think with the DTT in the front it would kinda be like being in full time all the time even if in 2wd? For the rear, would I be better suited with another DTT or go for the DL? Any and all advise/comments are appreciated

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I run a DTT front and rear but do not have selectrac in two of my KJs that run them
So since you are one of those folks who think they need to run it in full time , then yes given the right circumstances " it may " cause some issues
Not knowing exactly how you drive etc , its hard to say 100 per cent
But with the DTTs most times you have to sort of set up the DTTs to work , so normal driving 99 per cent of the time I don't think you would notice it
For me when I know I am going to need the lockers , I press the brakes while giving some gas and it will ( to put it in common terms ) set the lockers up

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my CRD Liberty (Only available with Selectrac) I ran a DTT upfront. I had no issues with it. In 2wd you will not notice it is there.
For the rear it really depends on what you want to do with your Jeep.
I have DTT front and rear and really like them. They are passive, and engage when you need them.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In my CRD Liberty (Only available with Selectrac) I ran a DTT upfront. I had no issues with it. In 2wd you will not notice it is there.
For the rear it really depends on what you want to do with your Jeep.
I have DTT front and rear and really like them. They are passive, and engage when you need them.
Thanks 65Corvair

Never ran DTTs in a selectrac so was just going on what a buddy who did have both stated
Plus always go on the side of caution in telling someone that it may or may not work and not knowing how they use them or of they do know how to use

JeepinSteve

Reaction score
I run a DTT front and rear but do not have selectrac in two of my KJs that run them
So since you are one of those folks who think they need to run it in full time , then yes given the right circumstances " it may " cause some issues
Not knowing exactly how you drive etc , its hard to say 100 per cent
But with the DTTs most times you have to sort of set up the DTTs to work , so normal driving 99 per cent of the time I don't think you would notice it
For me when I know I am going to need the lockers , I press the brakes while giving some gas and it will ( to put it in common terms ) set the lockers up
Hello Tom. I will be installing a DTT in the rear of my Liberty in the next couple of weeks. Any recommendation on what viscosity gear oil to run in the DTT? This is a 5 speed manual 4x4 that see moderate trails from time to time. Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Tom. I will be installing a DTT in the rear of my Liberty in the next couple of weeks. Any recommendation on what viscosity gear oil to run in the DTT? This is a 5 speed manual 4x4 that see moderate trails from time to time. Thanks.
I run 85/90-140 in all of mine , but they also get used for towing a good bit as well

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have select trac and dtt up front and e locker in rear. If I were to do again, just dtt all way round - like Tom. The dtt is that good.

But, I did/do notice some differences with front dtt. Even in 2wd in tight turns aka U turns or parking lot maneuvers you’ll hear tire scrubbing due to the bias. Going down highway, you’ll find that it tracks more with the road crown. And the steering wheel is a little heavier and likes to return faster. In ft 4wd you’ll feel an even stronger heavier wheel and tracking down highway. Not significant but noticeable if you pay attention.

I installed rear E locker before front dtt, and the front dtt made a bigger difference in off-road capability. It’s also seamless and works wonderfully.

I run synthetic 75-90 in my dtt which is not recommended by Detroit because it reduces bias. In the front end, not a bad thing and I haven’t had any issues.

Jeremy6305

Reaction score
I run 85/90-140 in all of mine , but they also get used for towing a good bit as well
Hello Tom, I am looking to put a DTT in the front of my 2002 KJ. I have read and heard that that would not work because of the pinion shaft is longer. Is this true? From the post I read here there is really no problem with them.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DTT just replaces the differential carrier. Your gears (ring and pinion) will be reused with the new DTT.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the spartan helical locker in my front diff. NOT LUNCH BOX. It similar in function to the DTT but far less expensive. It feels exactly like what has been described in this thread.

Jeremy6305

Reaction score
Hello Tom, I am looking to put a DTT in the front of my 2002 KJ. I have read and heard that that would not work because of the pinion shaft is longer. Is this true? From the post I read here there is really no problem with them.
Thanks for helping clarify that. I did not want to put out six or seven hundred dollars and be stuck, so to say. Thanks again.

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please note that with a helical (DTT) style locker you won't get any lock up on if one tire on the axle with the DTT is in the air. I would imagine this will be limiting for rock crawling type off-roading, but not a problem on flatter ground.

From KMP Drivetrain:
"Please note that the wheel with grip receives 4 times the grip the other wheel can transfer to the road. It does not mean 100% of the engine torque can be used. Let’s say the engine puts out 300 Nm of torque and the spinning wheel can only transfer 50 Nm of torque to the surface it is on. In a regular open differential, the other wheel would receive 50 Nm of torque as well. The total amount of torque to the wheels is 100 Nm. In a Torsen differential with a 4:1 bias ratio, the other wheel will receive 200 Nm or torque. The total amount of torque to the wheels is now 250 Nm."

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting front and rear lockers. This is my daily driver with weekend fun thrown in a few times a year. Would the DTT for the front be fine with the selectrac? I read in an older post it might cause issues with full time that I use in bad weather (flooded roads, snow, etc.) but other posts said its fine. I might be wrong but I think with the DTT in the front it would kinda be like being in full time all the time even if in 2wd? For the rear, would I be better suited with another DTT or go for the DL? Any and all advise/comments are appreciated
With a DTT in the front using 2wd will not be like full time 4x4. There is still zero drive to the front axle, so whether you have an LSD up there or not makes no difference to your forward drive traction. The DTT really should have no effect at all when in 2wd mode.