Dealer Over Filled The Engine Oil !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even Caterpillar, arguably one of the best engine manufacturers around suggest calibrating the dip stick/engine oil volume by MEASUREMENT to verify the dipstick markings.
The procedure is posted on the web.
It is a big contributor to foaming in the CRD's and how clean your puck etc runs.
However, it is also relied upon as a lube distribution - to a point but measurement is the key.

I check every so often with a consistent process and it doesn't change significantly.

I agree with checking hot and then verifying after standing overnight so all the gantries/galleries whatever you call 'em where you live etc can drain for an upper limit and parts can contract like the pan.

Don't hold too much against a dipstick. Measure.

Cheers
Auberon

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How said is this? People pay $25,000+ for a new Liberty and the manufacture can't even get the damn dipstick right.

It's pretty scary actually. If they can't get a simple dipstick right, then what else on the vehicle is questionable?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So you think its only Jeep or Mopar
funny very funny
never worked in a dealership have ya?
You could write a book with things seen, found, replaced on brand new vehicles

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think its only Jeep or Mopar
funny very funny
never worked in a dealership have ya?
You could write a book with things seen, found, replaced on brand new vehicles

I've always said the only difference between a new vehicle and a used one is the warranty. If it's new and it breaks, they fix it. If it's used and it breaks, you fix it.

I've seen some pretty screwed up engineering over the years, but you would think they could get a dipstick right.

This is my last post on this thread. It's unproductive at this point. :cool:

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Good attitude about the new vs. used vehicle thing.

I've seen vehicles break before they can even leave the assembly line.

No better yet

I've seen vehicles break before they're even halfway put together :p

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always said the only difference between a new vehicle and a used one is the warranty. If it's new and it breaks, they fix it. If it's used and it breaks, you fix it.

I've seen some pretty screwed up engineering over the years, but you would think they could get a dipstick right.

This is my last post on this thread. It's unproductive at this point. :cool:
All Toyota Matrix's and Pontiac Vibes read wrong,there is a TSB and they still send them out with the wrong dipsticks.By the dipstick it holds 4qts but the engine requires 4.5qts to operate correctly.