Dead Cluster! Needing help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RMcCabe

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a jeep from auction and my scan tool shows codes for wheel bearing and abs pump, but no lights? So I pull the cluster and dissasemble it to find black tape making the lights not light up! I remove tape and reassemble, but ultimately I removed the needles on the gauges. I know I shouldn't have but thought I had to.

No my problem is, none of my garages work. Temp, fuel, rpm, and speedometer.

I have held in the button and turned key to reprogram gauges with no luck.

They do move during the reprogramming but don't properly function like they should.

Please help!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a jeep from auction and my scan tool shows codes for wheel bearing and abs pump, but no lights? So I pull the cluster and dissasemble it to find black tape making the lights not light up! I remove tape and reassemble, but ultimately I removed the needles on the gauges. I know I shouldn't have but thought I had to.

No my problem is, none of my garages work. Temp, fuel, rpm, and speedometer.

I have held in the button and turned key to reprogram gauges with no luck.

They do move during the reprogramming but don't properly function like they should.

Please help!

Holding in the Odometer Trip Reset Button while turning ON the ignition does not re-program the cluster or diagnose it....is is merely an excercise for the cluster lights and gauges to check that they work.

You sure you put the needles back in the correct orientation when re-fitting them?

What year/model is your KJ?
I can look into the correct wiring diagram for you to see if there is anything of interest....did the gauges work properly before you unplugged the cluster and fiddled with the needles?:confused:

RMcCabe

Reaction score
The gauges did work properly, and I may not have put them back the way they came off. I know that's probably 101, but I thought they always reset themselves

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took off the needles on my gauges, the biggest mistake I ever made. It takes some time to get the needles where they should be. to do a self actuation test hold the trip button with the key out of the ignition, then turn the ignition to on without starting the jeep, then release the trip button.

RMcCabe

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll do this Monday. Do I adjust the needles by hand at all by removing and replacing them? Or just continuously do the test?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure they're not pressed down all the way

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online