Dash Squeak by Tweeter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had any problems with their dash squeaking up around the tweeters?

I have been pretty impressed with the quiet ride of the Liberty thus far, but this is starting to happen a lot.

Any recommendations to quiet it up? If I hold the dash down, the noise goes away.

Thanks.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not so much a sqeak but a metallic rattle kind of sound coming from the front left. Haven't had a chance to pull the panel that covers the speakers but I may do that this afternoon.

lbeothuckl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it squeak when you are on a rough road/ over bumps? I'm having a squeak, it may be coming from that area. I'm having a hard time locating it.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, exactly. It doesnt take much to make it squeak but it seems to be consistent with the bumps and things. When I push down on the dash right next to the tweeter, the noise disappears, so may be worth a shot for you.

Soon I plan on taking the pillars apart (where the handles are), which I think will gain access to removing/installing this big piece of trim going across the dash over the tweeters.

I know it's a jeep, but I'm sort of **** about squeaky noises in the interior.

goob2k

Reaction score
Not so much a sqeak but a metallic rattle kind of sound coming from the front left. Haven't had a chance to pull the panel that covers the speakers but I may do that this afternoon.
I have that metallic rattle coming from the front left too. Does anyone know what it is? I might have to figure it out this weekend.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soon I plan on taking the pillars apart (where the handles are), which I think will gain access to removing/installing this big piece of trim going across the dash over the tweeters.
Yes you need to remove the pillar trim pieces in order to remove that dash piece - there are two tabs on the bottoms of the pillar trim that fit into slots on the ends of the dash piece, then the dash unit itself is held in place by those lovely little spring clips that auto manufacturers are soooooo fond of :rolleyes:

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, I thought I read that somewhere. Maybe one of those spring clips is broke or missing, thanks for the info.

lbeothuckl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, exactly. It doesnt take much to make it squeak but it seems to be consistent with the bumps and things. When I push down on the dash right next to the tweeter, the noise disappears, so may be worth a shot for you.

I know it's a jeep, but I'm sort of **** about squeaky noises in the interior.

Just checked mine, I don't think its the culprit. Can you make it squeak without the jeep moving (driving)? my squeak can only be replicated while driving it, no matter what I do
I just had those a pillars off when pitting in the evic, should have checked then...

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to resurrect an old thread, but I finally got around to digging into this squeak. I really think my whole dash trim going from tweeter to tweeter isn't fastened down like it needs to be.

Anyways, I go to remove the A-pillars, and for some weird reason, I cannot access the mounting bolts! I have a ton of different sockets, but none of them are skinny enough to fit in the slot to remove the bolts.

Has anybody run into this? If so, how did you get to the mounting bolts? Maybe there is something I completely missed, but this one boggled me.

Thanks.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure they have a bolt head on them and aren't a torx head bolt? Not dogging on you or anything, just wondering.

EDIT: OK just went out and checked my mothers' '05 and it does have regular bolts in the handles. I know I've seen a post on here about what you need to remove them, I'll go look.

Last edited:

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome if you could find an old post explaining the removal. I'll also try some more searches.

goob2k

Reaction score
I finally got around to searching for my dash rattle. I tracked it down to something behind the fuse panel using the complex method of hitting the dash with my fist in various places and listening for the rattle. To get behind the fuse panel, I had to remove the A-pillar covers. To remove those, I needed a 7/32 deep socket. Seriously, Chrysler, would it have killed you to use a regular 1/4 inch hex head screw? Or use the T-25 screws that were apparently in older KJ's?

After the A-pillar covers were removed, off came the top dash panel and instrument cluster hood. The panel directly underneath the steering wheel is hinged on the bottom, which is handy. Using my fist rattle discovery method, I discovered that the wiring harnesses that were bolted to the back of the fuse panel were a bit loose. I tightened all three and those annoying rattles went away.