Dash Pinout help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMLoughrey

Reaction score
Well, i finally got around to install my custom light bar. Getting in my car this morning with the sun blinding everything in site i remembered that there is the dash light for the factory light bar.

Is there a way that i can tap my wiring from my custom lightbar to immumate the factory light bar light?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fouros found this and posted a thread on using it with his factory bar. Now granted he was installing a factory bar but I *think* it might be doable with other setups. Here is a portion of the wiring diagram for the BCM (body control module):
You must be registered for see images attach

Notice the 'Lightbar switch sense' connection. It is located in the connector that Fouros found behind the trim piece on the dash :

You must be registered for see images attach

Now if that connection in the BCM is looking for a 12v signal you might be able to tap a wire off of the power wire that goes from your switch to the lights and connect it to the brown/yellow wire and it would illuminate the lamp in the instrument cluster. If it is looking for a 5v signal you'd need to add a resistor in series with the 12v tap to lower the voltage to 5v so you don't fry the BCM. If there is someone with a factory bar that could measure the voltage coming off that wire it would help. Alternately (and possibly more likely to succeed) you could get a factory switch for the light bar and connect your power leads to the connector in the 'A' pillar that Fouros found. Just a couple of possibilities to consider...

Just remember that if you follow what I have outlined you do so at risk - I'm a shade-tree electrcian so if you fry your BCM and your Jeep goes TU don't come cryin' to me ;) :p

Last edited:

JMLoughrey

Reaction score
Having had my jeep apart numerous times for numerous different projects, i know i dont have that connector anywhere in my jeep. A pilar, behind that dash peice.

I'll have to take a look tomorrow to see if i even have that wire in the BCM anywhere and if i do, what it runs to and report back.

thanks for the diogram, this may actually help quite a bit.