Dangling ground wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronjcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found what looks like a ground wire under my hood this morning when i was cleaning out my air filter. It's silver and uncovered quite flat and splits in two. One of them is connected to something and the other was just dangling. I believe it connects to the motor somewhere but i'm not sure. it's the 3.7.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found what looks like a ground wire under my hood this morning when i was cleaning out my air filter. It's silver and uncovered quite flat and splits in two. One of them is connected to something and the other was just dangling. I believe it connects to the motor somewhere but i'm not sure. it's the 3.7.

What year? X's 3 on the picts. There are ground straps like that which connect from the firewall beneath the cowl to the back of each head on my 02.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning!!!

Do not ignore a dangling ground wire! The current will seek a way to ground and will do so in strange ways. Once had a Fiat 124 Spider with broken ground wire that grounded itself through the clutch cable and caused erratic electric glitches. Also had a Fiero GT that grounded itself through the accelerator cable melting insulation on the cable and melting the emissions tubing. Find another Liberty to see where the ground cables attach and get your grounds fixed!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
added a picture

Yes that should attach to a stud on the back of the head. At least it does on my 02. Really just find a spot to attach to block and you should be okay. The spot on the back of the head is very difficult to get too. I think there were some grounds connected to the block under the intake also.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought that one in particular went to the ****** to ground.... i hope im wrong.

disregard that one is the one to the block ... the other one i think goes to the ******

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked it back up, but what exactly is it for?

To give a good solid ground to the engine with reference to the chassis....remember that the negative lead from the battery goes straight to the chassis....if this grounding lead is not connected you do not have a good negative on the engine and the starter motor for example will turn slowly as it will only get a feeble current flow through the prop shafts etc. as the engine mountings are usually made of rubber.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also you want the current to go through a wire, not through a part like a clutch or little grounds on the transmission and start a fire.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you didn't see my attachment?????????

There's a title on the top.
Radio noise suppression ground strap.
That is what it is used for.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ground strap connection

I found one of my grounding straps danging under the jeep, while I was fixing the grommet that connects the 4WD cable to the transmission. It looks like there are two of them connected to the firewall. One is connected to the engine, the other was just hanging down next to the transmission. These things don't just fall off! Some mechanic either forgot, or was just too lazy to replace it. I know they are usually there to prevent interference from coming through the radio. And I was wondering why I could hear my turn signal relay, clicking through my radio speakers? Now I just have to figure out where it's supposed to be connected. Thanks for the diagram...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
both should go to the same spot on the firewall to both sides of the engine like the diagram.

I think there's another ground cable to the hood.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ground cables

Ground cables to your engine are critical! I have had 2 experiences where the engine ground cable became disconnected. Both caused the current to find alternate routes - one through the gas pedal cable and one through the clutch cable. Both caused severe overheating and melted plastic components contacting the steel cables. One was in danger of creating a fire but stalled out the car before it did. Don't ignore good grounds. Don't minimize their importance.

Latest posts

Members online