CV boot destruction!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Lovely!
You must be registered for see images attach

(IPhone photos, so not the best quality!)

You would think that finding an emergency two piece CV replacement boot would be relatively easy at O' Reillies, NAPA, AutoZone, etc.
No such luck!
F:favorites68:ing CV grease naturally sprayed everywhere!
I couldn't get duct tape to stick so no temp trail fix, just squirt CV grease into joint every now and then and took it real easy driving home the 130+ miles.
Oh well, those Cardone half shafts are Chinese made shit anyway. Time for a new pair of either OEM or JBA.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you were looking into SFAing your jeep anyway? Then you could forget all about the cv joints and deal with u joints and their specific problemsets.
Glad you made it home safe.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Something try eating them?

Seriously, what caused the failure? Were those the NAPA remans? I thought they had a lifetime warranty.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
The captive bolt that fastens the sway bar end link to the lower control arm (A brand new OEM Chrysler part!) broke after nailing a huge pothole* and the sway bar end link rotated 180 degrees, made contact with the outer CV boot and cut through it!
So no warranty! :( :favorites68:

*On a high speed gravel road. With sunshine and shady spots on the road so I never saw the pothole as it was camouflaged.:freak3::pp::happy175:

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
We tried to find a 2-piece boot for one of my CV's at ECS last year... with the same results. Ended up getting an entire replacement boot instead. It already had sand and gravel in it, so I didn't think it would last too long if I continued to run it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The captive bolt that fastens the sway bar end link to the lower control arm (A brand new OEM Chrysler part!) broke after nailing a huge pothole* and the sway bar end link rotated 180 degrees, made contact with the outer CV boot and cut through it!
So no warranty! :( :favorites68:

*On a high speed gravel road. With sunshine and shady spots on the road so I never saw the pothole as it was camouflaged.:freak3::pp::happy175:

Darn camo potholes.................:pp:

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least the joint stayed together,could have been worse.

You must be registered for see images

Of course a few days earlier I took out my 35mm socket from my KJ since I had to use it at work so had to wait about 3 hours fo someone to run a 35mm socket out to use so I could remove the CV axle and drive home.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you made it back home to basecamp. Looks like a great opportunity to design and manufacture a two-piece emergency CV boot. Fairly easy to do. Hmm, got me thinking...might just gin one up on the Cad tonight. idea.gif

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I called around today to find an emergency boot, no such thing available here anymore! :favorites68: Guess its time to order a set of JBA cv's. We where hoping to get the new JBA Super CV's but no word on when they will be available :shrug:

Now to figure out how to get around for the next couple of weeks until the new cv's get here :(

Jen

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Pull both CV's and the front driveshaft and cruise around in 2wd. I've done that plenty of times.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
When you pull the inner cv from the diff, is their a plug we need to put in or is their a seal that will automatically close so the diff fluid doesn't leak out everywhere?

Is their a how to somewhere about pulling the cv's & driveshaft? I saw one but I'm not sure if it's what I need to know.

Jen

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just pull them out and stick a rag back in
done
Buddys been running that way for over a year now with no issues

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long do CV Boots typically last?

I spray mine periodically with silicone to keep the rubber nice and playable and ward off dry rot.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Spaying anything on them lets it collect more dirt and dust which in turn will make them wear more
Just keep them clean is the best bet

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2...just powerwash the underside every once in a while to keep the crud off, especially after a long dirt road run.

Heep

Banned
Reaction score
hahaha now if they would of bought a real truck instead of liberty they wouldnt be having this issue :happy175::happy175::happy175: and its even female driven :whip: