CV Axle shaft/intermediate shaft pop/clunk??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone had a bad cv make a clunk/pop sound when turning? I don't really have a vibration or groaning sound, but I'm pretty confident the rest of the front suspension is good to go...almost everything is new and double checked for proper torque. It will also happen the odd time when I make a quick stop, and happens right when the front end lifts when finally at a complete stop. I don't think anything is shifting or anything that would make this sort of sound, though it does literally feel like something big is shifting...like metal on metal pop sound. My thinking is that the lift probably put extra strain and these likely original cv shafts didn't like it?? I did just recently add a little clevis lift to my OME lift.

Any insight would be appreciated! :favorites13:

drewwenmoth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you torque the sway bar bolts to spec with the vehicle weight on them? If you did it in the air that could be the source. It happened to me i did the wheel last. Undo the bolts in the LCA from the end link and bounce on the bumper a few times then put the bolts back in and torque to spec. Then report back to see if it fixed the issue. I had that same sound on bumps and hard stops and that procedure (as well as new end links) fixed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you torque the sway bar bolts to spec with the vehicle weight on them? If you did it in the air that could be the source. It happened to me i did the wheel last. Undo the bolts in the LCA from the end link and bounce on the bumper a few times then put the bolts back in and torque to spec. Then report back to see if it fixed the issue. I had that same sound on bumps and hard stops and that procedure (as well as new end links) fixed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I did! I was even out there yesterday again and at one point had the links off and reinstalled...still had the sound. New links too...hence why I'm baffled. The sway bar is usually the first place I look when something is making noise...maybe it requires a third look :think:

Geof3

Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for new CV's. Usually if they clunk like that (if you are sure its the CV's) then the inner tolerances are shot. Lifting just makes it worse. Another possibility is the lower clevis pin bushing might be toast, but you would have seen that when doing the lift. If they are clunking at max turn, most likely the CV. How much are you lifted? Might be exceeding the range of motion for the CV's in general. There is discussion of max lift with stock CV's. Tommudd and others are the guys to help with that.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a clunk like that, thought it was sway bar stuff so replaced all that stuff several times. Could feel the clunk through the floor too. Made it better but it would always be there. Also had a slight vibration (like an out of balance tire) and a slight whirring noise like at 70 MPH. Fixed it all with new CVs and a new intermediate shaft. Grab the spot where the passenger side CV connects into the intermediate shaft, a slight amount of play is normal but it shouldn't make a noise. If it makes noise or moves a lot, it's bad. Could take a vid and post it here if you would like.
Found my old vid
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online