custom subwoofer enclosure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just wanted to share my current Liberty project. My wife and I have always enjoyed music. Most of our vehicles have had very nice audio systems complete with subwoofer (not to rattle windows just for a complete sound).

I did not want to take up space in the rear with a floor mounted subwoofer. I did notice that the roof in the cargo area is almost flat then I wondered why I couldn't hang a small enclosure from the ceiling. The project that I'm working on is small dual 8" subwoofer enclosure for the cargo area ceiling area.

This will give us the sound quality we like and we will not lose any real usable space. (as for big items I might need to transport I have a trailer). Here's a quick draft of the enclosure. Because I'm not looking for big bass im going to use 2 Lanzar Max8 subwoofers.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I saw another one where they put it into the gate.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Serious Rear Glass & Hatch Rattle Waiting to Happen!

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say serious rattle is going to happen. I'm not installing a pounding system just something to give more depth to my music. A single 12" floor mounted sub would produce more rattles then 2 mild 8" subwoofers. and if things do rattle they can be tightened up.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea. i have 2 concerns tho.....one being an obstruction of rear view and 2 ... that being a hazard in a front on collision.

New Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a square sub (ie: Kicker)? They need way less air in the enclosure then a round sub, and are inch, for inch more efficient.

I had one in my single cab pick-up for years, and it fit behind the seat.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ sharpy its funny just last night both those items came to me. Now I've got to find a new mounting area.

I just don't want to loose cargo space, but the Jeep's stock speakers are not good enough. To bad there wasn't a pre-made cargo door trim that accepted subs...

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, they put some kind of sound absorber to keep the vibrations down. And it looked good enough to be factory. Wish I had saved the link, Im having problems finding it.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im trying, im trying. Someone else here had to have seen it!

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! I knew I wasnt crazy! And it does look very nice.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
HA! I knew I wasnt crazy! And it does look very nice.

Now that's a sweet setup!
Would that be constructed of MDF and a polyester filler?
Or is that whole enclosure made of glass reinforced plastic?
I would imagine that it also has Dynamat lining the tail gate
as well as the backside of the whole enclosure.

Jen and I really like that!

Last edited:

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to the guy who made it and he said he is working on a kit that may work( not sure what he means) but if you live in the coloroado area (which I do not >:|) he can do it for you. Probably pricey but it looks very nice. He cut part of the metal out to get the depth and then made a custom cover for the rear gate plastic. He did use some sort of lining. I wish I could have this done to mine! Here are some installation pictures I just found. HERE

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Displacement produces output not cone shape. A square cone can have more surface area but their excursion is quite limited... they skip that part in the ads.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW thanks for the pics!! that is a very nice setup. If it were mine I would put a grill on it for protection. But I've rekindled my ceiling mount idea. the enclosure is only 7.5" deep. When mounted into the rear cargo area ceiling it comes down to just where the glass begins on the back tailgate. The Liberty's have a slight raised roof in the rear section.

The bolts that will mount the enclosure will go straight through the roof. Top bolts will be rounded smooth tops and will be black silicone sealed. I do plan to add a Carrier Basket so I'm not worried about aesthetics. I just purchased both sub woofers and enclosures and they are being shipped. Will show pics during the installation. It will probably take me a few weeks to complete the install once the parts arrive.

:Second Note:
the sub woofer enclosures would be no more dangerous then my flat tire toolbox kit, or my 10L gas can all sitting in the cargo area during an accident. At least the enclosures will be bolted down... or up in this case :D

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have been considering "permanently" installing a decent 8" sub in the KJ as well. I currently have a 10" in a small box. but it'd be nice to free up some real estate, since the KJ has little to begin with anyway.

My plan was either in the tailgate, or most likely in the passenger side cargo area. I believe there's some dead space in there between the outer quarter skin and the interior panel. Obviously would want to dynamat and whatnot to keep rattles and sound quality up as it'd probably vibrate the sheet metal a ton.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have been considering "permanently" installing a decent 8" sub in the KJ as well. I currently have a 10" in a small box. but it'd be nice to free up some real estate, since the KJ has little to begin with anyway.

My plan was either in the tailgate, or most likely in the passenger side cargo area. I believe there's some dead space in there between the outer quarter skin and the interior panel. Obviously would want to dynamat and whatnot to keep rattles and sound quality up as it'd probably vibrate the sheet metal a ton.

i was thinking the same thing, just cut out that plastic crap with one of those multi tools. it cuts through pvc pipe just fine. hopefully their are no wires in the way