Cruise Control Downshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamSport47

Reaction score
So...we took the KJ to South Carolina thru the hills of West Virigina and Virginia. I had the cruise set at 75and was coasting down that HUGE 7 mile long hill on I 77 just before you enter North Carolina when all of a sudden, the ****** downshifted. I looked down and I was almost at 80. When the vehicle got back to 75 it upshifted back into 4th. I was NOT expecting this at all, but thought (after the third time) that it was kind of cool. The first time, mind you I thought the ****** had took a sh**. Overall, I was truely impressed with the KJ, getting 25 true MPG roundtrip. It was a WAY more comfortable ride that I had envisioned, and the cross winds were barely noticable. Now I see why so many were sold!

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I had the cruise control option installed on my 04 Sport and I luv it too, especially on long road trips. It was well worth the cash I shelled out for it.

I never noticed the downshifting while in cruise mode, I'll have to watch for it on my next trip.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, Ive noticed that and dont really like it. I always cancel before going up a hill then resume at the bottom on the other side. I can easily replace brakes myself. I cannot replace a ****** which means $$. It downshifting is just more wear and tear IMHO.

I can usually get up a hill on my own without the ****** downshifting too unless its a fairly big hill.. And we have alot of them in eastern ky so Ive got to cancel cruise alot.

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, it shifts to maintain and regulate its speed... it's nice, the engine brakes for you.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a lot of mountain roads here. I never used the cruise control in the mountains. Just on the flatter interstates. I didn't know it would do that. Interesting......Usually in the mountains I lock out O/D and let the engine brake me going down hill.

My favorite one if no one is behind me, I start at around 45 at the top and lock out O/D and when I get to the bottom I am going around 75 if I don't brake and don't use the gas........:D

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, Ive noticed that and dont really like it. I always cancel before going up a hill then resume at the bottom on the other side. I can easily replace brakes myself. I cannot replace a ****** which means $$. It downshifting is just more wear and tear IMHO.

I can usually get up a hill on my own without the ****** downshifting too unless its a fairly big hill.. And we have alot of them in eastern ky so Ive got to cancel cruise alot.
You now that not letting the ****** downshift can be worse for wearing it out then letting it downshift(which will not harm the ****** as long as it doesn't downshift/upshift every few seconds) going up fairly steep/long hills.Staying in high gear going up long uphills will cause the TC to "slip" more and cause loads of ****** killing heat,downshifting keeps the engine in the correct powerband and not letting the TC "slip" as much as it would in high gear.

But what do I know,I'm only ASE master auto certified and have 12 ****** certifications from GM and Chrysler(8 GM and 4 Chrysler)(dunno)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think the TC slipped when it was locked? I know if I give it more gas the rpms do not move. When the TC unlocks, doesnt it produce more heat since its the only thing letting the rpms go up if the ****** stays in 4th?

haha, no one ever said you didnt know anyhting.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think the TC slipped when it was locked? I know if I give it more gas the rpms do not move. When the TC unlocks, doesnt it produce more heat since its the only thing letting the rpms go up if the ****** stays in 4th?

haha, no one ever said you didnt know anyhting.
If your giving it more gas and the RPM's are not going up your TC is not locked,if it where locked your RPM's would increase also since the stator in the TC is directly locked to the flex plate RPM's.You can still be in 4th gear but the TC not locked,it's not good for the ****** hence the downshift that should follow shortly afterwards.