Creaky Front End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed last night that the left front suspension creaks when it is in motion both directions. I plan on getting the stethoscope out this week and have a listen. I know some possibilities are:

-strut (probably it)
-dry ball joint
-rubber busing

I have had vehicles that had horrible squeaks and it ended up being dry ball joints or it might be time to upgrade those worn out shocks and springs with something a little more liftish :smokin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not knowing how many miles you have could be many things
also what lift setup,
first would be the sway bar bushings spray them with silicone spray
second could be weak front SHOCKS and springs
third bad ball joints
top three to check

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill have to see if i can find that over here in germany! I looked at my bushings on my a arms and i saw that it was starting to get some weathering cracks :[

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use Liquid Wrench silicone spray. Works fine, been using it for over a year now...

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
102,000km so far. I actually have a new set of sway bar to frame bushings, just waiting for some nice weather to put them in. I will put them in tomorrow and report back.

SoonerJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be watching for results. Mine developed a loud creak in the right front last winter. But only when it's cold. It didn't do it all summer and I was hoping it went away. Alas, it's back now that it's in the 30s most mornings.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lost count of how many KJs I have sprayed silicone spray on the sway bar bushings every fall and it stops the squeak. No need to replace them just spray every oil change and no issues
Its very cheap and easy

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yeah, our sway bar bushings sweak like a well used hourly rented motel room mattres!:D
They're also getting worn a little too much for my liking so I just ordered some new polyurethane swaybar bushings from All J Products last night.
That should take care of it.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, just installed the new bushings and presto! no more squeaks. I was kinda hoping for bad struts, wife was supportive of replacing with better ones and new springs (ome). Will have to wait until spring I guess. I know I could have sprayed em but 8 bucks every 100,000km isn't bad for bushings.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I know. Also other news someone wrecked their KJ in the reserve today, They put there 03 on its side. Will probably be a write off from what I hear. We had some good snow fall today.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lost count of how many KJs I have sprayed silicone spray on the sway bar bushings every fall and it stops the squeak. No need to replace them just spray every oil change and no issues
Its very cheap and easy

Any procedure I should do? Should I do that when they're extended? Does it matter? Should I clean em up first? I'm gonna do this now...

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, silicon spray does not damage rubber at all. the bushing hold the bar tight to the chassis. The bar tends to twist or spin ever so slightly on the bushings. New bushings grip and twist with it. Old bushings that are worn don't grip so well and the bar spins/twists in the bushing causing a creak or squeak. This slip does not in anyway affect the sway bars performance. The silicon spray simply stops the noise. I replaced them because they were cheaper then silicon spray lol. Only $8. for OEM ones.