Creaking noise from the front end with each rotation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beano

Reaction score
So I have a noise. It's more a squeak at speed and a creak when very slow like idling, it gets louder with the brakes lightly applied when I'm going real slow. Any ideas. I'll try to attach the video link
The video is now attached in comment #5

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without being able to hear it yet, I'll put in an early bid of being either a build up of rust on the outer or inner perimeter of the brake rotor(s) causing the pads to squeak, or the pads being worn down to the scrapers.

Beano

Reaction score
No it has new brakes, sorry I'm failing on the video upload. Any volunteers I can send it too for uploading? I'm a phone user. I took apart the drivers side the noisier one and made sure that everything with the brakes was fine. Less than 10k miles and tons of pad left and rotors look good

Beano

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to go about checking them? They feel smooth when turned by hand and I feel no slop when trying to twist the wheel side to side or up and down with the wheel jacked up

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help without hearing it either. Try Youtube for the video

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not your typical brake squeak noise. Did you try spinning the wheel with the tires off the ground, does it still make the sound? Any difference when making a turn? Could be cv joints, either the axles or front driveshaft. Take a look at the driveshaft, transfer case end. The rubber has a tendency to tear, letting grease out and weather in, trashing the joint.

Beano

Reaction score
it doesn't make a noise when I turn the tires while their off the ground. Turning a corner does seem to eliminate the noise

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like plastic creak. I am not familiar with those wheels/lug mounts.
What the heck is that center cap thingy? Is that Plastic?
I would like to see best /correct lugs, making direct contact into the rim and torqued at 100ft pounds.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like plastic creak. I am not familiar with those wheels/lug mounts.
What the heck is that center cap thingy? Is that Plastic?
I would like to see best /correct lugs, making direct contact into the rim and torqued at 100ft pounds.

My desk chair makes a very similar ratcheting noise when I lean way back. I'll have to check my nuts too. :happy175:
"Doesn't make a noise with tires off the ground". Did you jack up the Jeep by the body (relaxing the suspension) or at the front axle (keeping weight on suspension)? Can make a difference.

Beano

Reaction score
Factory hubcaps, torqued with torque wrench. I'll try taking them off just for the sake of it but I'm pretty sure it's not them as they never did it before and I've had both wheels off and retir ques as many times before and the noise is not going anywhere ever

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Post a pic with center cap off & a close up of your lug nutz, while they are off.
Want to make sure they are the proper conical's.

Beano

Reaction score
Well I changed my wheels and so far the noise seems gone. I'll update if I hear it again but so far it appears it was the wheels or hubcaps. Those are the original factory wheels, lug nuts,and hubcaps too in case anyone was wondering. I put a different set of factory wheels on that look the same but are earlier and the hubcaps attach differently making me suspect it was them. Problem is the noise has always been intermittent. It sounded so much like a groaning in person the video doesn't do it justice.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.