CRD kicked some butt last week (Long)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matford

Reaction score
My wife and I just returned from the first major road trip in our 05 liberty CRD. We drove it from Portland to Colorado and back. Total mileage ~2600

First things first, I will say that the Jeep performed awesomely during the trip. Every mile we drove it, we liked it more and more.

One of our goals for the trip was to fill up with biodeisel whenever possible. With the hurricane and current petroleum prices, we figured we would do our part. We filled her up with b99 in Oregon, but unfortunately, the only other biodeisel pump we could find on the way was in Salt Lake city. The funny thing was, by the time we reached Salt Lake city, the price of Diesel was 20 cents higher than the price of Bio-Diesel. Each time we filled it up in Salt Lake city, we had a group of people inquiring about the diesel jeep. We ended up using a couple of tanks of Dino-Diesel in between Bio fills, but I think the mixture in the tank always had some bio-diesel in it.

Our average fuel mileage for the trip was about 25mpg. We normally got between 460-500 miles on a tank depending on who was driving. (My wife has a lead foot) We had the ac on for most of it and were averaging 70-75 mph.

Negatives:
On the highway at cruising speeds, i would have to take it out of overdrive to get it up some of the really long upward grades...

I also noticed it had a hard time keeping the engine temp normal when we would ascend with the a/c on. It wouldn't overheat, it just climbed about 1/4 the way higher than normal on the guage. When I turned off the a/c it went right back to normal in just a few minutes. I am probably going to speak to the dealership about this b/c if it can't go up a hill with just the a/c then how is it going to do it when I have a 2000lb trailer?

The stock tires suck in the mud. They were great in the gravel, and dry stuff but we almost got stuck in a muddy field on our last day of the trip.

Positives:

Where the CRD really impressed me was when we went off road.(besides the mud) We spent 2 days of our trip exploring unpaved mountain roads. The CRD would go just about anywhere we were brave enough to take it. The only limiting factor seemed to be the tires (Stock street tires... don't like mud) and ground clearance. (had to be careful when driving over big rocks.)

There is a road that goes out of Telluride called Tom-Boy road. It is an old mountain pass with a summit at 13,200 feet. When you turn onto the road there are all kinds of signs warning you. One of them says 4x4's only and another says "High-Clearance" vehicles only. That sounded like my kind of road, so I decided to give it a shot. Plus I was really curious how the jeep would handle the high altitude.

The road was simply incredible. It was just wide enough to hold our jeep with the mountain on the left and a nauseatingly steep drop on the right. It was very steep and had switchbacks so tight in places we had to make a 3 point turn to get around. It was mostly gravel and loose rocks on the way up and then rocks and mud on the way down the other side. There was also all kinds of really cool old mining equipment scattered along the way.

I had the jeep in 4x4 Low, 1st gear the entire way up. All I can say is wow. When I needed to get up or over something, just a tap on the accelerator and the torque was right there. The engine never even sounded like it was working hard. It had plenty of power to spare even at the top. It was practically idling the entire time

It took us over an hour to reach the summit but we had no problem whatsoever. There were already some other 4wd's at the top when we got there. We got a lot of stares, and one person yelled out, look a Jeep Liberty made it up, while another asked when they started making them in diesel... Hahaa. Good fun.

The way down was the long part of the trip. The road was really bad. It had been washed out in a few places and there were lots of large rocks we had to navigate around. I think we probably spend about 3 hours going down. I must say, the tight turning radius and narrow wheelbase of the jeep is awesome for going around rocks.

Our drive back to Portland included a stop in Salt Lake city for another tank of Biodeisel and a 17 mile offroad detour to see something called the "Spiral Jetty" (Look it up... its worth the trip)

Overall it was a great trip, and the drive over the mountain definately made me a believer. The jeep is still caked with dirt and grime... I'm wondering how many passes through the carwash it is going to take to get it all off. :lol

My wife is working on a photogallery. I'll post some pics it as soon as it's online.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. I was up in the silverton/ouray area about a month ago hitting all the big trails. I ended up camping just a little outside Silverton on the way to Animas Fork. While I was there I did Clear Lake, BlackBear Pass, Imogene, Enginner, Cinammon Pass, Pougkeepise Gultch and California Cultch. A friend of mine came up over the weekend in his Tacoma and we did BlackBear again and Ophir pass.

My campsite from above w/ the pop-up
You must be registered for see images

Another of the campsite

Some views from Blackbear pass

My KJ on Blackbear pass

Blackbear again, give you and idea of how huge and vast the area is

City of Telluride from Blackbear

Going down the steps on Blackbear

Bridal Vail Falls on blackbear

Tunnel on Imogene

Switch backs on blackbear from Imogene Pass

Summit of Imogene

More Imogene

Engineer Pass

Random Picutres

The difficult obstacle on Pougkeepsie. Had a Jeep coming down warn me not to go any further in "that Jeep"

Lake Como from Pougkeepsie

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow both of you guys had awesome trips!!!=D>

OMG... amazing pictures!!!! I need to do that someday!!

Wow... Think I can use some of those pictures for the 1st page of this site?

Bennett

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bennett. It was a great trip and awesome wheeling, the scenery is unreal.

You are more than welcome to use the pictures. I have some more and full size ones at the link below.
http://eddo.yourip.org/photos/

2003KJ

Reaction score
Sounds like both trips were awesome, can't wait for more pics!

Eddo, those shots are amazing, you a photographer by any chance?

Liberty Titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo, I have to say I am jealous that that place is too far for me to ever get to! Good work on the pics...could look at them all day. But I have to ask...when the other jeeper told you not to go any further...did you listen? Or did you take your KJ up and prove what she could do?

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of observations..

I've towed as much as 4,000 lbs. with my CRD, and I've never had to take it out of overdrive even on hillsides. And we do have some pretty steep hillsides here in Kentucky. And secondly, no matter what I tow, how I drive, how steep the hill is, or how high the temperature gets, my CRD has never ever overheated. In fact, the needle has never gone past half-way.

I bring this up because a lot of guys have complained with the same problems you mentioned on your trip. I am starting to think that the elevation out there in the west is causing this. We have some steep hills and mountains here too, but the difference is the elevation is quite a bit lower. And I haven't had a single problem working the CRD.

So I think you guys out west are seeing the trouble because of the extreme elevations you sit at. That's just my theory.

Awesome trip though!! It would be great to get the KJ out on the trail in the western U.S. someday before I die!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
matford, thanks for the write up! I could have been right with you. And impressive MPG. I'm planning a trip next summer out there (since my parents live just north of Telluride). Please post any photos if you can.

Eddo, great photos. I'm so jealous!

\:D/

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice trip Eddo

I just got back from working near Silverton on Loveland Pass. I missed all these places you went, they're really gorgeous. Unfortunately I didn't have too much time for site seeing, but I did manage to drive over Gunella Pass and up Mount Evans (highest paved road in the U.S.). I didn't have my good camera, and I was in my work truck. I really wish I had my Jeep out there to play in.

Here's a link to some pics:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2120916885

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elevation

The park rangers warned us on the affects of elevation on gasoline engines before we started up Mount Evans. You lose 3%-4% power per 1000 feet of elevation. That's 45%-55% at 14,500 feet elevation. Diesel engines are unaffected because they are turbocharged. (My work truck is a diesel).

There was a Model T club going up the mountain that day. I think those things only have 20 horsepower. I wouldn't want to go up the mountain with half of that. Several had to get out and push in a few places.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liberty Titan said:
Eddo, I have to say I am jealous that that place is too far for me to ever get to! Good work on the pics...could look at them all day. But I have to ask...when the other jeeper told you not to go any further...did you listen? Or did you take your KJ up and prove what she could do?

Thanks. Nope I didn't listen to the other Jeeper and made it on through by myself. The difficult part is that little section you seem me climbing. Its kind of nasty looking from the front. It is really not that bad, but the sandy soil makes the rocks really slick.

The switch backs on blackbear on not that bad at all. They are WAY overrated. I was all worried about them and couldn't really believe how easy they where. Yes you have to back up, but if you know how to do a 3-point turn it is not a problem at all. The steps are a little nerve racking but not that bad. I saw a stock KJ go down them.

I took Blackbear into Telluride and Imogene. Personally, I though Imogene was considerably more difficult. Imogene is a fun one to drive w/ some nice moderate obstacles and good water crossings. I say a stock 05 durango made it through but he was having a tough time.

Blackbear is really an easy trail 90% of the time. The steps and a few small ledges right before the steps are moderate. The switchbacks I though were pretty darn easy, just need to back up once or twice. The turns are tight, but there is still plenty of room. Imogene basically is a moderate all the way through with section that I though surpassed blackbear.

Now pougkeepsie is a tough one. Make sure you are lifted and have skids for that one along with the western part of engineer pass. After that then maybe imogene followed by blackbear.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been on all those trails, excpet black bear...boy does that bring back memories. \:D/

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Eddo, is your Lib stock? It looks like you have a lift in that one pic. Just wondering for us stockers out here that would like to go trailing.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AtlanticLiberty said:
Hey Eddo, is your Lib stock? It looks like you have a lift in that one pic. Just wondering for us stockers out here that would like to go trailing.

Yeah, I'm lifted about 2.5" with some 245/75/16s. As far as a stock liberty goes. I would make sure you have skid plates and then possibly bars. With that I would say you would be able to do all the trails except Pougkeepsie.

dnm45227

Reaction score
So a stock rennie should handle it, even with the 225/75/16's? Not that I'm going to make it out there anytime soon, just wondering.

jsstover

Reaction score
Great Trip

Great write up and spectacular pictures. Thank you for sharing! Sidebar: Alot of folks here from Ohio. Go Bucks!

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
So a stock rennie should handle it, even with the 225/75/16's? Not that I'm going to make it out there anytime soon, just wondering.

Yup, saw plenty of KJ out on the trails. Most are really not much more than a bumpy road with the occasional small easy obstacles. All the trails in my opinion are overrated out in the Silverton/Ouray area.