CRD coils on a Petrol KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using CRD front coils on a V-6 KJ?

If my OME/Blistein plans fall thru, I was thinking of replacing my sagged out suspension with CRD coils up front. Figure it will be a bit stiffer and maybe handle better.

Also, has anyone used CRD springs with a Wesway lift?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It would work, you would gain a bit of lift, but buying new, with new OE shocks, you'll be near OME/Bilstein prices anyway, which are way better anyway.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I priced Moog coils and Monroe shocks, came out at around $450.

OME/Biltein lift runs about $700.

I'm just trying to figure out all my options and was thinking of using CRD coils in a Wesway lift.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
We'll be trying one here soon, I got some used CRD coils in on a trade so will see how they do, ( on someone else's KJ:icon_twisted:) mixing them with an old Daystar lift and some other tricks maybe

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you go with Monroes only ones I would even think of trying would be the Sensatracs anything else would not be worth it

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger that, Tom

The quote was for the sensa-trac shocks, front and rear.

Let me know what you think of the CRDs in the KJ that you're doing.

Thanks

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have monroe's sensatracs on rear, Durango-type (it's best for 2-2.5" lift)
but they are too soft, for my taste

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More opinions please

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience using CRD coils? Particularly, with a wesway lift?

Seems Uncle Sam isn't returning as much of my money as I figured, So I'm been tossing the options around.

I figure the wesway will give me ~20.5" and cost around $525. Where as a OME lift will put me ~21-22" and cost about $700. Frankly, I think the wesay will do what I need it to.

I'm looking for pros and cons to make a final decision.

I don't think I'll ever add a bumper, just skids and maybe sliders at some point. Will the CRDs be too stiff?

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have any thoughts or experience using CRD coils? Particularly, with a wesway lift?

Seems Uncle Sam isn't returning as much of my money as I figured, So I'm been tossing the options around.

I figure the wesway will give me ~20.5" and cost around $525. Where as a OME lift will put me ~21-22" and cost about $700. Frankly, I think the wesay will do what I need it to.

I'm looking for pros and cons to make a final decision.

I don't think I'll ever add a bumper, just skids and maybe sliders at some point. Will the CRDs be too stiff?

Hi Jo6pack,
Fitted some CRD springs to mine but it's not the V6 just the 2.4 Petrol but compared to the old knackered springs it is a great improvement. :smokin:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47339

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Banditsteve. Don't know how I missed that post before.:pp:
Gotta love a black Jeep:smokin:

Ho does it ride? I guess if the CRDs are not too stiff for your 2.4 they should be good for a 3.7

My front bumper measurement matches you "before" pic. If I get up to 26", I'll be happy.

What is your measurement from the hub to fender flare? Granted mine may sit a bit lower since it's a V-6

You are just using the CRD coils with no spacers or extra isolators?
What size tire are you running?

Thanks mate

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if your going to cheap out on yourself, then just get a daystar lift, or a rustys spring lift for 400 but dontsay we didnt warn ya

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if your going to cheap out on yourself, then just get a daystar lift, or a rustys spring lift for 400 but dontsay we didnt warn ya

Just trying to figure out all the options. If it were a matter of going with the cheapest option, I'd just replace my sacked coils/shocks with a straight OEM equivalent. What I'm trying to do is find a middle ground where my dreams and my wallet can agree.

As it stands right now, I've got around $1500 to play with.
My needs are: new suspension, and tires

My should haves: front hooks and skids

Everything else is gravy. Sure, I'd love a full OME lift, ARB bumper and all the other goodies; but it's just not in the cards. I don't do a ton of wheeling, so I have a hard time justifying all the extra $$ for gear I will only use a few times a year.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing you use every day is the suspension
a good spring and shock set up makes it more comfortable to ride in and will handle the bumps, railroad track and pot holes way better than stock

Weigh out the difference in buying OEM springs -vs- OME and go from there
The OEM CRD will work and give you some lift, but in the end will you be satisfied with that amount of lift:icon_twisted:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing you use every day is the suspension
a good spring and shock set up makes it more comfortable to ride in and will handle the bumps, railroad track and pot holes way better than stock

Agreed, that is why I was thinking of trying CRD coils instead of direct replacements for a petrol.

Weigh out the difference in buying OEM springs -vs- OME and go from there
The OEM CRD will work and give you some lift, but in the end will you be satisfied with that amount of lift:icon_twisted:

That's what I'm doing right now is weighing my options.
CRD/Wesway = ~20.5" for ~$525
OME/Blistein = 21-22" for ~$700

I'm not just looking at price, that's why I'm asking others opinions. I think I would be satified sitting at ~20.5", after all that's 2.5" higher than I am now. I could run 245/70s

Thanks for the lively debate guys, it aids in finding the best outcome.

I know twack wants me to do the OME lift so he can help wrench on my KJ:smokin: Either way I go, I'll still probably call in your offer.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just feel your going to be very disapointed in the results and the ride with crd/MONROE compared to ome/rancho/bilstein whatever. monroe shocks are cheap crappy shocks that WILL die in under 30,000 miles.

great saying
CHEAP = EXPENSIVE

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Banditsteve. Don't know how I missed that post before.:pp:
Gotta love a black Jeep:smokin:

Ho does it ride? I guess if the CRDs are not too stiff for your 2.4 they should be good for a 3.7

My front bumper measurement matches you "before" pic. If I get up to 26", I'll be happy.

What is your measurement from the hub to fender flare? Granted mine may sit a bit lower since it's a V-6

You are just using the CRD coils with no spacers or extra isolators?
What size tire are you running?

Thanks mate

Hi Don,
The hub centre to fender flares are as follows:

Before new springs: (Called them left and right cos your n/s and o/s are different to ours cos you drive on the wrong side) :happy175:

Left Front - 19.5"
Right Front - 19"

After new springs:

Left Front - 21"
Right Front - 21"

Rides nice but obviously anything will be an improvement on worn out springs!
Currently running 235/70 R16.

No spacers in the front but 1 extra isolater in each rear and Spidertrax wheel spacers in the rear.

Gotta agree with most people here though in the fact that you would be better off with OME springs as they are about the same price over there. The only reason I didn't get them is we only have a few suppliers and they can only supply full kits with springs, shocks, bushes etc and my jet ski raided my bank account so had to go for the only alternative which was mopar ones.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Steve :smokin:

barryh

Reaction score
crd springs on KJ

Question for Bandit Steve
Did you replace the springs with new mopar CRD? and second question. Did you replace the shocks at same time. I was wondering whether your std shocks were coping with extra load. barryh