CRD coils on a Petrol KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for Bandit Steve
Did you replace the springs with new mopar CRD? and second question. Did you replace the shocks at same time. I was wondering whether your std shocks were coping with extra load. barryh

Hi Barryh,

Yes I replaced the old standard springs with new mopar standard springs intended for the CRD. Didn't bother doing the shocks as this is only intended as a "temporary" fix and hopefully will get round to doing the full OME lift at some point in the future so no point replacing things at this point that don't need replacing. Old shocks were showing no signs of leaking and it handles as well as a Jeep can be expected to handle. There is no real extra "load" on the shocks as such. Springs do the "bouncy bouncy" bit and the shocks just do the damping so it doesn't act like a pogo stick! Hehe. You could argue the fact that as the springs don't compress and rebound as much, that the shocks have less movement and an easier life. Hehe. :smokin:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just feel your going to be very disapointed in the results and the ride with crd/MONROE compared to ome/rancho/bilstein whatever. monroe shocks are cheap crappy shocks that WILL die in under 30,000 miles.

great saying
CHEAP = EXPENSIVE

Took the tax stuff to H+R Block and they found another $400:smokin:

OME/Blistein is back on the table. Now I just have to keep the total hight under 6'7" so I can still fit into the garage and in parking ramps

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup youl fit, i fit into my townhouse, now if you add a roof basket i doubt it.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just feel your going to be very disapointed in the results and the ride with crd/MONROE compared to ome/rancho/bilstein whatever. monroe shocks are cheap crappy shocks that WILL die in under 30,000 miles.

I can go with Bilstein shocks instead of Monroes for not much more $$.

What are your thoughts on coils for a stock height. Are there better choices than Moog?

I'm not disputing that OME/Bilstein is the route to go for a lift, But I'm really debating whether I need that much lift in the first place. I think I would be plenty happy sitting at 20" and running 245/70 tires. Just trying to figure out if there is a best way to acheive that end.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sadly it isnt really an extreme amount of lift. i would just do it right the first time rather then redoing it later when its no good

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sadly it isnt really an extreme amount of lift. i would just do it right the first time rather then redoing it later when its no good

I'm not looking for much lift. I want just enough height to run 245/70 tires, which will give me more options on tread patterns.

The main reason I'm looking at CRD coils is that I want some more durability over the stock POS springs

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking for much lift. I want just enough height to run 245/70 tires, which will give me more options on tread patterns.

The main reason I'm looking at CRD coils is that I want some more durability over the stock POS springs

If you had a CRD, these WOULD be the POS springs!! :smokin: I know where you are coming from but you will probably get OME springs for the same price as Mopar ones in the states. I only got the Mopar ones cos I couldn't just get 2 OME springs over here in the UK.
A bit like Ry's Mini. We have got mini spares coming out of our ears over here and they are probably as rare as rocking horse s**t over there.
You gotta appreciate irony!! Hehe. :smokin:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had a CRD, these WOULD be the POS springs!! :smokin: I know where you are coming from but you will probably get OME springs for the same price as Mopar ones in the states. I only got the Mopar ones cos I couldn't just get 2 OME springs over here in the UK.
A bit like Ry's Mini. We have got mini spares coming out of our ears over here and they are probably as rare as rocking horse s**t over there.
You gotta appreciate irony!! Hehe. :smokin:

I won't be using MOPAR coils in this set-up, I will use Moog springs instead.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say if you get springs other than OME you would go against all the advice anyone can give you here. Tjkj, what are the OME equivalent OME springs. Ones that would put it back to factory height or just a hair taller? I think that's the best, cheapest thing you could do here.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All OME springs are the same price. About $150 or so per pair.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there you have it. What length shock do you need for the rear if you use light duty springs? I'm assuming a stock length would work.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I asked about stock OME springs in another thread, but got no answer.

So, I use OME coils (925 front /947 rear) and stock length Blistein shocks.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I asked about stock OME springs in another thread, but got no answer.

So, I use OME coils (925 front /947 rear) and stock length Blistein shocks.

That would be what I get out if it. There's 946 for the rear too but some one that is certain will have to confirm that. I'd say get 947 because even the 948s seem squishy sometimes to me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
been posted before but just for siggles and ghits
OEM springs are 310 lb
Rustys lift springs are 310 lb
Skyjacker springs now are 310 lb
OME 925s are 350 lb
OME 926s are 375 lb
OME 927s are 400 lb
OEM CRD coils are 410 lb
OME CRD 790s are 500 lb

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been posted before but just for siggles and ghits
OEM springs are 310 lb
Rustys lift springs are 310 lb
Skyjacker springs now are 310 lb
OME 925s are 350 lb
OME 926s are 375 lb
OME 927s are 400 lb
OEM CRD coils are 410 lb
OME CRD 790s are 500 lb

So the 925 coils with stock Bilstein shocks up front will put me at about stock height? (19.5")
What rear coils/shocks would I use to kep it level? I don't want my ass end sticking way up in the air.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
At first I'd say you'll be a little more than 19.5 more like 20-20.25
rear I would go with 947s if you're never going to tow or haul anything heavy, and don't add anything else to it
Stock shocks in front is all any of us can get so stuck there

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, are the 925s shorter? or are they just softer and compress more?

What rear shocks should I use?
Will the stock height (Blistein BE5-D917-H0) be long enough?

Latest posts

Members online