Crankshaft Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 & an 02 Liberty . Both were bought with engine problems . I found a low mileage 05 engine & installed it in the 05 . Repaired a few other little odds & ends & now have a very nice 05 .
Getting ready to start on the 02 . It has a slightly knocking rod . Just before the rod knock started the previous owner had the heads rebuilt & a new timing chain set installed by a shop .
I am considering pulling the engine & examining the crankshaft end of the rod that is knocking & if I can't see any damage to the rod just installing a new crank kit without pulling the heads , intake , etc .
What does everyone think of this approach ?

Mrich0908

Reaction score
I have an 05 & an 02 Liberty . Both were bought with engine problems . I found a low mileage 05 engine & installed it in the 05 . Repaired a few other little odds & ends & now have a very nice 05 .
Getting ready to start on the 02 . It has a slightly knocking rod . Just before the rod knock started the previous owner had the heads rebuilt & a new timing chain set installed by a shop .
I am considering pulling the engine & examining the crankshaft end of the rod that is knocking & if I can't see any damage to the rod just installing a new crank kit without pulling the heads , intake , etc .
What does everyone think of this approach ?

You have to take a micrometer (or plastigauge I heard works) and check your rod. Im a machinist by trade . I cant even tell by eye the variation of .0015 .0025 .
If the rods out youll need to pull the heads.
If your thinking about not removing the engine . Problem is keeping everything so clean you can eat off it. If not youll be doing the job again. Then you also still have to mic your crankshaft / block for the best possible bearing tolerance.
I know little about the 3.7 engines.
Im not saying it cant be done just do your research so you know the proper procedures you could do more harm then good.
If it was me I was leave the heads on and pull the motor throw it up on a stand if this motor permits you to disassemble it like that.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was me I was leave the heads on and pull the motor throw it up on a stand if this motor permits you to disassemble it like that.

I spun a bearing a few weeks back. This is what I plan on trying first. Need to get it out and on a stand and pull the oil pan to see whats up. I'm expecting to need a new crank, bearings, oil pump, oil pan (rusty)... etc.

Probably change the crank sensor while I'm in there.

If its too bad, I'll chance a used engine with the appropriate reluctor set up.