Could someone test something for me, please?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hillman

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new on here but I have a question which I hope someone can test for me. I have a Jeep Cherokee (UK based) so it's the Liberty shape 2003 model which I've had from new. It's a 2.8 CRD. Anyway, it's been great except that recently I'm sensing a few potential problems.

The thing I'd like to test is when the key is in the ignition and turned one click (so all the lights etc come on) I'm sure that I used to hear a small motor noise for a few seconds. If I did (and I can't be sure now) it's now stopped happening. I suspect it was the fuel pump charging/priming (?). Anyway, could anyone with a similar vehicle just let me know if there is a motor sound or has something gone away that was never there!!

The Jeep still starts although it's running cold and a bit rough at the moment. But as I say I'm sure that when I used to put the key in and turn it once there was a few seconds buzzing sound . . . appreciate any thoughts on this.

Hillman

Reaction score
OK, thanks. So are you saying that there should be the sound of the injection pump for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on (first click) or am imagining it?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that you are hearing the motor on the flow control valve. It's a butterfly that helps for a smooth shut down. It's on the drivers side of the engine toward the front, the intake hose is hooked to it.

The Export 2003 2.8 and 2.5 CRDs do not have a flow control valve.

And as stated above...no CRDs have a fuel pump as far as pumping fuel from the tank up to the engine....only the high pressure pump which is powered off the cam belt.
There is a small solenoid located behind the air filter which on your vehicle, Hillman, is there to activate the EGR valve. There may be some residual vacume in the pipe going to the solenoid...the pipe goes to the vacume motor and when you turn on the ignition maybe some of that stored vacume leaks out.
Or else maybe the Blend door for the interior airflow is moving into position?
Also the interior fan runs at low speed even in the Fan OFF position when the ignition is turned on.

You need to put your questions in the CRD section of the Forum here...more likely to get a response!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.