Corroded Rim Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayosick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 KJ with 85,000 miles on it. The rims are in a bad way to say the least. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for new rims and tires for the jeep. I plan to get a lift in the future.

Here is my jeep and what the rims look like.
You must be registered for see images attach

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to go real cheap, scuff them up and throw a few coats of black.
Or possibly some new Crager D windows (i think that's what they are called) or soft 8s.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'know I think I've seen tire/wheel shops advertising that they specialize in wheel refinishing. Check your local tire shops or the Yellow Pages. Maybe a body shop can help.

Oh and don't let them use those crimped on wheel weights, that does a number on the wheel finish. Myself I have the shop use the stick on weights on the inside of the rims.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and don't let them use those crimped on wheel weights, that does a number on the wheel finish. Myself I have the shop use the stick on weights on the inside of the rims.

how do you get a good balance?
dynamic balancing ,I think that is what it is called, is the best way to get it right
I know that to do my swampers they used stick on weights to get it to with in 2 oz then dynamic balance them
I also know that I have so weights on my TJ ,MTR's, that are bigger on 1 side than the other

as to the OP
easiest way I found to fix that ,did it for a guy who bought a Jeep from "up north", is to sand blast the wheels with a Med. corse sand then clean and paint

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you get a good balance?
dynamic balancing ,I think that is what it is called, is the best way to get it right
I know that to do my swampers they used stick on weights to get it to with in 2 oz then dynamic balance them
I also know that I have so weights on my TJ ,MTR's, that are bigger on 1 side than the other

as to the OP
easiest way I found to fix that ,did it for a guy who bought a Jeep from "up north", is to sand blast the wheels with a Med. corse sand then clean and paint

The bigger the tire the more weight you'll need. Have a look some time at the really big tires, like a 42" tall TSL.

Are your swampers bias ply tires? I have a set of Super Swamper bias ply tires that handle really bad on the highway, not the same as radial.

Salt and nicks in the alloy rim clear coat result in that type of corrosion. We see it all the time "up north" :D

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
(welcome)

Those are some nasty looking alloys...I would look at some steel wheels like was mentioned. Most rigs up here have wheels that look like that...mine were starting to go that direction before I sold them.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bigger the tire the more weight you'll need. Have a look some time at the really big tires, like a 42" tall TSL.

Are your swampers bias ply tires? I have a set of Super Swamper bias ply tires that handle really bad on the highway, not the same as radial.

Salt and nicks in the alloy rim clear coat result in that type of corrosion. We see it all the time "up north" :D

I know about the bigger tire needs bigger weight thing
it is called rotational mass
this is the amount of weight you have along with the distance it is from the center of the rim
I also know that I had 31 X 11.5 LTB's that took as much as a full POUND
to balance properly
but I also know that my 32 X 11.5 MTR's took less than 8 OZ's on the worse one but my 245/75 MTR's took around 6 oz's
oh and the 225/60R16's on my wifes VW have 3+ oz's on 1 wheel
the rest are less than an 2 oz's

and I would not call what my swampers did "handle"
it was more of a controlled swerve

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salvage those rims, sand them really good and find a place that can paint them, it doesn't have to be an auto shop, any shop with some metal/iron related work experience can take care of those, or try it yourself, mask the lip and leave a silver ring behind. Find a way to seal the shine in.

You must be registered for see images

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Nope,those wheels are done,totally unsafe,send them to me freight collect and I will dispose of them properly.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes Mi road commision salt, salt, salt that is why I like steel, easyer to sand and paint yourself. I have cracked alloys from the pot holes in the past as well.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what you'll find is that the cost to professionally refinish them out weighs the cost of buying a set of used rims in decent condition, or new steel rims.

Your best bet is to refinish them yourself.

ayosick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how to go about refinishing them, any suggestion. Just sand clean and paint? What type of paint works the best. Plus it is kind of hard to tell based on the pictures, but this isnt just surface, it is kind of eaten into the rim itself. This pics kinda shows what I am talking about.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I have no idea how to go about refinishing them, any suggestion. Just sand clean and paint? What type of paint works the best. Plus it is kind of hard to tell based on the pictures, but this isnt just surface, it is kind of eaten into the rim itself. This pics kinda shows what I am talking about.

Corrosion is aluminum's worst enemy.....salt corrosion will eat aluminum away like rust eats away ferrous metals. You could just sand and paint, or sandblast prime and paint...either way it's going to take some work to make them look presentable.

ayosick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am just going to suck it up and go with some new rims. Would you guys mind posting some pics of the rims you guys are running.