Cooling fan With or W/O tow question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to check if I'm correct here.kopkrab.gif

My question is about the cooling fan set up. Looking in the parts manual, it appears that the base electric fan/shroud assembly is the same whether the KJ has the tow package or not. but if the tow package is installed, then they stack a second shroud to the back of the base electric fan/shroud assembly. & that second fan shroud surrounds a mechanically driven engine fan...

For example (and assume these numbers are current) If I'm replacing an electric fan package for my non-tow package KJ, I should get:

1) 52079786AB -FAN MODULE, Radiator Cooling

But if I decided to upgrade to the tow package fan set-up, I should get:

1) 52079786AB -FAN MODULE, Radiator Cooling (same as above)
2) 52080127AA -SHROUD, Fan (the second shroud)
3) 52079718AC -DRIVE, Fan, Viscous
4) 52079654AC -FAN, Cooling, Mechanical

Is this correct?

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get this kit it would be cheaper; 82208909 Heavy-Duty Cooling fan kit for 3.7L V-6 engine.

I need to check if I'm correct here.kopkrab.gif

My question is about the cooling fan set up. Looking in the parts manual, it appears that the base electric fan/shroud assembly is the same whether the KJ has the tow package or not. but if the tow package is installed, then they stack a second shroud to the back of the base electric fan/shroud assembly. & that second fan shroud surrounds a mechanically driven engine fan...

For example (and assume these numbers are current) If I'm replacing an electric fan package for my non-tow package KJ, I should get:

1) 52079786AB -FAN MODULE, Radiator Cooling

But if I decided to upgrade to the tow package fan set-up, I should get:

1) 52079786AB -FAN MODULE, Radiator Cooling (same as above)
2) 52080127AA -SHROUD, Fan (the second shroud)
3) 52079718AC -DRIVE, Fan, Viscous
4) 52079654AC -FAN, Cooling, Mechanical

Is this correct?

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get this kit it would be cheaper; 82208909 Heavy-Duty Cooling fan kit for 3.7L V-6 engine.

I'm piecing it together from a salvage yard. My OE fan quit last winter, & I was feeling pretty broke, so I removed it & got the engine driven mechanical fan only. That was enough to keep the engine cool, but my wife took the KJ down to Kansas earlier in July, & it was not enough to keep the condenser cool... that over pressured the compressor & BAM! smoke, noise, & no cool air!

I ordered an electric fan that the yard described as being a tow package fan, but it is exactly like the dead one I pulled out last winter, & no shroud. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was lacking before I go back to the yard & ask for my missing pieces:)

Latest posts

Members online