Coolant System Flush Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been reading about HOAT coolant today because my thermostat housing is leaking and in need to repair. I got my jeep from my cousin and he told me back when he replaced the radiator he used the "good for all colors" antifreeze to top the system off. For this reason I know I need to do a system flush when I replace the thermostat and get the right stuff back in there. The jeep only has 77000 miles but want to know if I need to be worried or look for any particular damage that may have occurred. Secondly is it possible for me to properly do this job myself or should I just have the dealer do the flush and put the mopar stuff back in?

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There used to be a flush lit available back when I did such things myself. It was a plastic spout when directed the flush away from your car and a "T" fitting that went into a heater hose to facilitate flushing. Not sure if they are still available or not. Auto part store would know.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go get it done at the stealership. They can flush it properly. You do NOT want any mix in with HOAT. Overheating and coolant problems are the #1 killer of the 3.7!!

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any way to check to see if I have any issues. I take ownership of this jeep from my cousin next week when he goes to buy a new car. He gave it to me for less than trade in value and its low miles that's why I said I wanted it. If I should steer clear or if this is one of those things that is an automatic catastrophic issue ill just let him trade it instead of buying. Was hard to pass a 2004 Columbia edition with 75000 miles for only $5000 but I don't want any issues if I can avoid it. I realize it could cause waterpump issues, radiator issues, and thermostat/housing issues(plastics) but the radiator is new and I already know the thermostat or at least the seal needs replaces as it drips occasionally. Im worried about the stuff you see from the dexcool pics online. The muddy/rusty coolant issues and debris in the block/radiator etc. If I look in the radiator and it looks ok im assuming there probably not much harm done since he said he only topped off the coolant after swapping the radiator. I plan on doing a full flush when I change the thermostat as soon as I take possession anyway.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any way to check to see if I have any issues. I take ownership of this jeep from my cousin next week when he goes to buy a new car. He gave it to me for less than trade in value and its low miles that's why I said I wanted it. If I should steer clear or if this is one of those things that is an automatic catastrophic issue ill just let him trade it instead of buying. Was hard to pass a 2004 Columbia edition with 75000 miles for only $5000 but I don't want any issues if I can avoid it. I realize it could cause waterpump issues, radiator issues, and thermostat/housing issues(plastics) but the radiator is new and I already know the thermostat or at least the seal needs replaces as it drips occasionally. Im worried about the stuff you see from the dexcool pics online. The muddy/rusty coolant issues and debris in the block/radiator etc. If I look in the radiator and it looks ok im assuming there probably not much harm done since he said he only topped off the coolant after swapping the radiator. I plan on doing a full flush when I change the thermostat as soon as I take possession anyway.

The most likely damage that would show up is the water pump impeller - the "all colors" stuff eats away at the plastic. I also vote for the dealership doing the flush for you. Number 1, their machine will put the proper pressure in the system to truly flush it out. Number 2, they'll put in the proper HOAT coolant. You can usually find a coupon on the dealer's website to reduce the price a bit (at least the Jeep/Dodge dealers around here do.) But I feel the price is pretty reasonable.

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Was hard to pass a 2004 Columbia edition with 75000 miles for only $5000 but I don't want any issues if I can avoid it. I realize it could cause waterpump issues, radiator issues, and thermostat/housing issues(plastics) but the radiator is new and I already know the thermostat or at least the seal...

Not an expert here, but I think for that price and those miles you'd still be getting a deal even if you had to replace all three of those things. Since you caught it quick you probably won't even need to do that.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say you're ok. A flush will help the problem and if the stuff hasn't been in there long it probably didn't harm it. Of you are really worried just replace the pump as well, but I don't think you need to worry about it that much.

If you want to save some bucks you can do it yourself and backflush the heater core as well. I usually do my own. If you don't mind spending the money though, a dealership will save you the mess.

Good luck, sounds like a good deal.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was an awesome deal for a jeep that's been very well maintained. And when you think about it you never really know what a used vehicle has been through when you buy them, at least with this one I know. Like profdlp said even if replace the waterpump I think im pretty much ahead. I just wanted to make sure this mix up isn't one of those ticking time bomb type mistakes. Its never overheated either so I am going to look inside the coolant tank and radiator and as long as I don't see the rusty brown slime indicating there is a lot of OAT in the system I am just going to stop worrying and get the repairs done. Now I need to decide if I should let the dealership do the thermostat and housing or do it myself and top off with plain water for the drive to them to flush. Im a bit OCD about doing my own repairs or letting this one specific mechanic touch my cars (but I don't think he has a coolant flush system)

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went tonight and looked in the coolant tank. Fluid looked pretty clean and bright neonish green/yellow (hard to be sure in dark with led flashlight). Just a little residue on the filler neck but no rusty slime like the dexcool horror pics you see online or anything. If the fluid was mixed it wasn't with much or for long, or so it appears. Im gonna proceed as suggested and just get it flushed at the dealer. Two questions about that process.

1. is flushing the entire system including the heater core, radiator, block, and overflow tank what gets done or am I mistaken? Should I tell them they fluid was incorrectly mixed is why im there so they will be sure to make sure every part is cleaned out?

2. Any chance they have the thermostat housing off while doing this procedure? If so I guess it make sense to have them replace the housing and thermostat while in there since it currently has a slow drip.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Back when I would do that myself I would always make sure the heat was on full blast to make sure it was circulating through the heater core. I don't recall having to pop the thermostat but that would seem like an easy thing to do at some point during the process.