Coolant help??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stampey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I think i might have a slight problem here. Not sure whats going on but im thinking i have an excess or too much Coolant in the tank.
I discovered this the other day cleaning out he engine bay. Tell me if this is overfilled.
You must be registered for see images

I parked my car today, but saw a plume of smoke/ vapor come from the engine. I popped the hood and saw this.

Not sure if that is from the resevoir being overfilled. Heh this is how full it was when i drove it off the lot, we havent added anything, and this is the first time i have had any problems.

Any help/tips/advice on how to solve this would be great

Stampey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, hasnt been over heating or anything. Today i guess i just had some excess come out the hose and splash on the hot engine causing steam. I added a clamp to try and make the seal a little stronger. About how full is yours in your car?

stfitts

Reaction score
If it came that way, it could have been a stupid dealer mistake. Your gonna want to take some out, or you could blow a hose, or even the resivor. If it was me, I'd run over the hoses and clamps and make sure everything is tight now that something could have popped lose, and untightened a bit.

It might not hurt to get under the jeep, find the radaitor drain plug (if your under, its on the lower driver side of the radaitor), unscrew and let some out. MAKE SURE the engine hasn't been running for a long while, or you will get some nice super hot coolant on your hand. After letting out, check your level, and refill as needed.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Well, if the coolant level was at normal before, and it's now rising when hot, thats a sign that the pressure may not be holding (i.e. bad pressure cap)....but if it's been that way since the beginning, than i'd let some out and go from there.

Latest posts

Members online