Converting front tow hooks to shackles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm thinking about replacing my front tow hooks with shackles ..

Has anyone done this & what am I looking at as far as labor etc?

Thanks

Ed

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm thinking about replacing my front tow hooks with shackles ..

Has anyone done this & what am I looking at as far as labor etc?

Thanks

Ed

IMO not worth it
shackles make noise and get all rusty of you leave them on
if you dont leave them on then sure as poop is brown you will loose them
also keep in mind that NO one ,speaking as a trail guide, wants to fumble around trying to hook a strap to a shackle that they can not see
they can not see it because it is under muddy water

again just my .02

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking ...Thank you!

Yea...those photos being dead ***** but I think I can work around that if I decide to get into it -

Not sure I want to start tearing the front end apart to do this

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking ...Thank you!

Yea...those photos being dead ***** but I think I can work around that if I decide to get into it -

Not sure I want to start tearing the front end apart to do this

Here you go, Check these out. There's a few different versions out there but Bennets step by step in the how-to is how i did mine "Page 4" http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9316&highlight=
I wasn't sure myself about tearing in to the front bumper but this was the key to my success http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25620
Hope it helps? I forgot this is posted in the how to section here:eek::confused:

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO not worth it
shackles make noise and get all rusty of you leave them on
if you dont leave them on then sure as poop is brown you will loose them
also keep in mind that NO one ,speaking as a trail guide, wants to fumble around trying to hook a strap to a shackle that they can not see
they can not see it because it is under muddy water

again just my .02

What's the difference between a submerged shackle, and a submerged tow hook?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between a submerged shackle, and a submerged tow hook?

I can grab the loop and slip it over the hook easily just by feel
can not do it so easy when I am trying to thread a shackle pin with a strap
under and some what behind the bumper all while not being able to see

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a question.

Everybody say that using a strap with hooks on it is a no-no. Why is it okay to use shackles then? Provided everything being equal as far as working load, breaking strength, etc.?

If a hook breaks and the strap coils back, it becomes a projectile. Seems to me that if a shackle breaks the same thing may happen.

With that being said, I like shackles better. You don't have to worry about a strap falling off the hook.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Everybody say that using a strap with hooks on it is a no-no. Why is it okay to use shackles then? Provided everything being equal as far as working load, breaking strength, etc.?

I use five ton forged tow truck hooks on the ends of my tow strap, and have been using the same system for 25+ years. I figure that if you can use one on the end of a winch cable, you can use them on a tow strap.
Never had a problem with them.

If a hook breaks and the strap coils back, it becomes a projectile. Seems to me that if a shackle breaks the same thing may happen.

Place an old blanket over the tow strap (in the middle) and if something fails and the strap does come undone, the blanket will absorb alot of the energy that is stored in the strap and the strap will have less recoil.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Place an old blanket over the tow strap (in the middle) and if something fails and the strap does come undone, the blanket will absorb alot of the energy that is stored in the strap and the strap will have less recoil.

Good tip.....

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use five ton forged tow truck hooks on the ends of my tow strap, and have been using the same system for 25+ years. I figure that if you can use one on the end of a winch cable, you can use them on a tow strap.
Never had a problem with them.

x2. That's standard procedure. Your strap can break on a shackle as well. Always put a blanket over the line to absorb the energy.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use five ton forged tow truck hooks on the ends of my tow strap, and have been using the same system for 25+ years. I figure that if you can use one on the end of a winch cable, you can use them on a tow strap

you do realize that a winch does not apply a shock force any where near what a strap will see
The clubs/groups I ride will do not allow metal hooks on straps nor do we allow connecting 2 straps with a shackle

I wish I had the picture of the hole I got in my tail gate of my old truck from a shackle when the junk strap the guy had broke
yes it put a hole in the sheet metal of the tail gate ,and dented out the inside of the gate
would have killed some one as easy as I typed this line
best part if it was about 2 feet higher I would have been the one killed
need less to say
#1 no deep mud for me any more
#2 no stupid hard jerking to get some one out
#3 never connecting 2 straps with a shackle again

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use the correct strap,a "snatch strap" and not a tow strap you will not place near the load on the strap and/or shackle,just like a synthetic winch rope.Plus you need to use a snatch strap the correct way also.I have broken many chains but never once broken a snatch strap with shackles when used correctly,I also have some 7.5 ton rated alloy shackles that I have yet to break.The same style shackles I have has been used to pull some pretty impressive stuck heavy construction equipment without breaking so I have no worries about mine.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
you do realize that a winch does not apply a shock force any where near what a strap will see
The clubs/groups I ride will do not allow metal hooks on straps nor do we allow connecting 2 straps with a shackle

I wish I had the picture of the hole I got in my tail gate of my old truck from a shackle when the junk strap the guy had broke
yes it put a hole in the sheet metal of the tail gate ,and dented out the inside of the gate
would have killed some one as easy as I typed this line
best part if it was about 2 feet higher I would have been the one killed
need less to say
#1 no deep mud for me any more
#2 no stupid hard jerking to get some one out
#3 never connecting 2 straps with a shackle again

If you use the correct strap,a "snatch strap" and not a tow strap you will not place near the load on the strap and/or shackle,just like a synthetic winch rope.Plus you need to use a snatch strap the correct way also.I have broken many chains but never once broken a snatch strap with shackles when used correctly,I also have some 7.5 ton rated alloy shackles that I have yet to break.The same style shackles I have has been used to pull some pretty impressive stuck heavy construction equipment without breaking so I have no worries about mine.

A really important bit of info this!
A proper "snatch strap" will allow for a dynamic load (a certain amount of stretch engineered into the overall length of it.)
And a tow rope is a static line which has no stretch in it at all.
I have on occasion had to tie two snatch straps together using a water not.
I however no longer do this.
Now I just carry an assortment of lengths of tow straps, snatch straps, tree savers, etc.
Buy the best quality that is appropriately weight rated, don't buy cheap junk.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 1/2 ton Warn shackle and bar I use for the rear. BEFORE I go into the trail I slip the bar into my receiver and put the pin in. I usually just leave the recovery strap loop right on the shackle and throw the strap in the back and close the window. If I need it I just pop the window and grab the strap. It is already hooked up to my jeep that way. I have used it this way several times and it works fine. Even in the mud/water and that way I don't have to mess with it since it is already hooked up. That's what I do anyway.

Dave