Convert struts to shocks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RollerJ

Reaction score
Sup my jeep peeps... Does anyone know if it's possible to convert my front struts to shocks using stock lower control arm. Found a cheat part on detour.com but does not work for my liberty. Hit me up with ur ideas.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you folks should take the time to correct Monroe and KYB. They both call em STRUTS;
Monroe OE Spectrum Strut

Monroe OESpectrum Strut

Front
Limited Lifetime Warranty

The Monroe® Sensa-Trac® strut with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech™ system combines our exclusive precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube with application engineered valving and Fluon banded piston to improve the ride, handling, and safety characteristics of the vehicle. These features allow the Monroe® Sensa-Trac® strut

KYB Excel-G Strut

Front; Recommended OE Replacement
Limited Lifetime Warrant

And lets not forget Bilstein
Bilstein 4600 Series Strut

46mm Monotube

Front
Contact Store for Warranty Details

Bilstein 4600 Series Shock Absorbers and Struts

After yall get these dumb buggers corrected, then start on the forum posters.

Bob

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after yall get them dumb **** manufacturers straightened out, then get to work on internet slackers.

Kinda like the use of "motor" instead of "engine". "Magazine" instead of "clip" in firearms, etc. Even if you know the difference,,,, what d@mn difference does it really make?

Bob

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I heard of a fella once that thought a skunk was a cat.................

Made a difference to him:happy175::happy175::happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems most all people who have been on the forums like here and LOSTJEEPs know they are shocks in front and do call them that
Guess some know, some just think they know :shrug::icon_lol::icon_lol:

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at a pro shop as well.....a strut is infact referenced as a structural part of the suspension system......this is fact.....a shock is simply a shock absorber......everybody is correct.......lets eliminate the label of a shock/strut......they both do the same thing....a simple shock absorber is a simple shock absorber....a strut is an actual piece of the vehicle that supports and manages the movement of the vehicle. A strut incorperates not only the shock, but also the spring pad as well as the ability to dampen the up-down motion of the vehicle.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the O.P.'s original question, I think maybe a couple a shocks off a 1965 Mustang, and the fiberglass rear spring assy from about an 1988 Gran Prix rear could be adapted to replace the OE assemblies.:grd: WHY one would want to,is the real question?

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at a pro shop as well.....a strut is infact referenced as a structural part of the suspension system......this is fact.....a shock is simply a shock absorber......everybody is correct.......lets eliminate the label of a shock/strut......they both do the same thing....a simple shock absorber is a simple shock absorber....a strut is an actual piece of the vehicle that supports and manages the movement of the vehicle. A strut incorperates not only the shock, but also the spring pad as well as the ability to dampen the up-down motion of the vehicle.
Look at it this way.....................

Strut..............

If you remove the strut assembly the vehicle is 100% immobile.

Shock/coilover.............

If you remove a shock or coilover assembly the vehicle still can be driven.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be interesting to ask what the OP is trying to accomplish instead of just arguing semantics...

RollerJ

Reaction score
06 liberty has front struts and back has shocks. Would like to convert to shocks all the way around. Is there any part that would convert the bottom of the front strut were it holds the bottom control arm?