control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trucksr4girls

Reaction score
how much can i lift my kj before needing to extend the upper control arms? does anything else need to be adjusted/extended to lift past 3"?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can keep the stock arms above 3 inches but its best to get JBA arms if you plan on going higher than that. Right now mine is lifted right at 3in and the stock arms are perfectly fine. Just keep in mind if you do too much of a clevis lift the stock arms will hit the spring at full droop and tear the boot.

What lift do you have in mind?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I've a set of the RRO upper control arms on my KJ. Greaseable bushings, replaceable balljoint..... Works pretty good. I haven't seen a pair of the JBA UCAs in person so I can't comment on those or compare them to the RRO arms. Build quality seemed excellent, nice welds on the joints. Some will tell you that customer service from RRO is crappy or hit and miss. It was a hit for me.

The only problem has been tire rub on the front of the UCA but only when I turn full lock. I've got 31x10.5x15 tires on 15x8 Cragars w 4" back spacing. Spacing the wheels out further might solve the rub issue up front but I'm sure that I'd get more at the rear of the wheel well if I did. The arms don't come anywhere near the spring when flexed.

trucksr4girls

Reaction score
right now i have a 3" rough country lift on my kj but i wanna go a little bigger. the control arms are good so far minus some slight rubbing.. i'm looking to go up to 4" so i'll most likely be replacing the arms and getting some wheel spacers.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I've a set of the RRO upper control arms on my KJ. Greaseable bushings, replaceable balljoint..... Works pretty good. I haven't seen a pair of the JBA UCAs in person so I can't comment on those or compare them to the RRO arms. Build quality seemed excellent, nice welds on the joints. Some will tell you that customer service from RRO is crappy or hit and miss. It was a hit for me.

The only problem has been tire rub on the front of the UCA but only when I turn full lock. I've got 31x10.5x15 tires on 15x8 Cragars w 4" back spacing. Spacing the wheels out further might solve the rub issue up front but I'm sure that I'd get more at the rear of the wheel well if I did. The arms don't come anywhere near the spring when flexed.

Hahaha...good thing you have that ARB or you would see a lot more rub on the front flairs.:p

My set up is exactly like yours, minus the ARB....and I trimmed the front of the wheel wells a lot and still have rub on plastics.kopkrab.gif

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bud the spud from the bright red mud.... check out my KJs OK album, you'll see that there wasn't much plastic left before the ARB either. What didn't get ripped off in the bush was cut off with the sawzall.:)

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into how much work it would be to drop the front assembly to keep the CV's and such from cry'n?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JBA sells a kit to lower the crossmember 2". I don't see the point though, you lose 2" of ground clearance if you do it. But... I suppose you could run a taller tire and gain some of it back.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a certain point that's the only way to get more lift, unless you re-engineer the whole d@mn thing and do like a desert runner get up with custom control arms and half shafts...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You can remove and replace just the boots if that's the only problem... and you catch it soon enough. I've done that.

trucksr4girls

Reaction score
You can remove and replace just the boots if that's the only problem... and you catch it soon enough. I've done that.

i've tried to do that but it's such a pain in the ass.. it was easier to just have the axle replaced under warranty. my mechanic doesnt just replace cv boots and i took one look at it and had no desire to do it myself.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a certain point that's the only way to get more lift, unless you re-engineer the whole d@mn thing and do like a desert runner get up with custom control arms and half shafts...
32" tires is about the max the D30A can handle and those are easily run on 3.5" of lift.I know as I did it till I SFA'ed my KJ to run 35" tires.