Considering purchase of 2004 Liberty. Waht to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanKearney

Reaction score
Hello All,

I couldn't find anything in the site FAQ, but I did find a couple of recall notices in this forum's Stickies.

I'm looking at a 2004 Liberty Sport 4wd w/v6 motor. It got high mileage (190k), but supposedly nearly all highway miles.

I haven't eyeballed it yet, so I don't have any personal knowledge of its condition.

What common Liberty problems should I look for?

Thanks,

Dan K.
Black Hawk, CO

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, do keep in mind that it's a Chrysler product, and it's a damn miracle that it lasted this long. I'm mostly kidding, but there are several problems that could happen on your way home with it. Odds are good that the water-pump has been replaced, but maybe not. The AC compressor has probably been replaced, but maybe not. Definitely look for fluid leaks around the transmission. Honestly, there's not much about a Liberty that you specifically have to look for that you wouldn't have to inspect on any other car.

All in all, if you can get it on the cheap, it's probably worth a throw of the dice. 190k isn't all that much if it's been maintained properly.

:cheers:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know of several with 190,000 miles and no issues
Buddy has 192,000 and replace water pump and other than normal routine things no issues.
Mines got 166,000 and besides brakes, battery, couple of CVs ( due to the amount of lift) no issues
All depends on maintenance no reason they won't go 250,000 at least
now the CRDs :Bye:

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch for rust around the rear window from the high brake light, rust around the oil and ****** pan and rusty brake lines and fuel lines, rust around the bottom of the doors. The blower motor resistor may not have all speeds working, and if the seats are heated, the heaters may be burnt out. see if you can get the service records, watch for the ****** if you dont, if they have not serviced it regularly, then changing filter and fluid at this stage of the game is very dicey. Its a good vehicle and like all good vehicles it has its quirks. Probably one of the best Chrysler has built in a long time.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 has 135k replaced radiator twice (crack in seam both times) replaced valve body in ****** at 90k, two rear window regs with the Steiger versions...then just usual maintenance like belts and hoses and such. Grade A machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah cv joints and UCAs with lower bushings. R&P washer mod also. Still think it was stupid where they put the oil filter but I removed and reset the drip tray and now it doesn't drip on the R&P. Think it might have been in there wrong somehow. *shrug*. Maybe even bumped or vibrated goofy. No clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk