Considering a Liberty CRD - Need to Tow a Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lblaze

Reaction score
Has anyone towed a travel trailer with the new Liberty Diesel? I'm considering buying one, but I need to occasionally tow my 19.5' travel trailer. The GVWR on the trailer is about 4250. I test drove a CRD last night and the sales guy even let me take it home for the night to test it with my camper. It pulled amazingly well, but when I got to speeds over about 63 mph, I felt uncomfortable, like it wasn't quite stable, even though I had the stablizer bars attached. I'm just wondering if it truly was unstable or if it was just my imagination, because I'm used to pulling the camper with my big Cadillac Escalade. Anyone else out there towing anything with the CRD? The gas prices are killing me so the Escalade must go.

lblaze

TireSmok007

Reaction score
you really should have a sway bar and a sway bar brake on the hitch because of how short the wheel base is on the liberty. the longer the wheel base is the more stable it is at high speeds. I have a 18ft camper that is 3340lb unloaded. the liberty pulls it like a champ but at 65 mph it feels really light, My ranger has a longer wheel base and is a lot more stable when at highway speeds I think that the liberty manual says it will pull a trailer that is 5000lb or a max of 21ft long but it also says that you should have a hitch sawy bar on it.

lblaze

Reaction score
Liberty CRD-Towing a TT

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention in my post that I did use a hitch with sway bars. As far as brakes are concerned, are you referring to the additional trailer brakes that are controlled by an add-on box that mounts on the dash and runs to the 7-way bargman and the brake pedal and can be adjusted? I acutally have one of those in my Escalade and would have it moved to the CRD if, I buy the CRD.

Thanks.

lblaze

TireSmok007

Reaction score
brakes are a good thing to have on a trailer that size but there is a anti-sway brake that you can put on the trailer hitch to help keep it from bing so wobbly.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You list the GVWR as 4250lbs. Does that include all your gear, or is that simply just the weight of the trailer itself? If that's just the trailer then loading it with all your vacation essentials might put you too dangerously to the 5000lb limit (if not over). Not trying to discourage you from the purchase, but you don't need to be part of any tragic news stories either.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he did get over 5k that would be ok, just dont go much over that. I would say that it would be better to put alot of the stuff in the libby rather than the trailer to give the jeep that extra weight. At 19.5 feet i would say ur ok, if the trailer was much longer i wouldnt get the jeep. Ive heard way to many stories of tahoes actually flipping b/c the trailer was to big, when 18 wheelers go.

If u have kids, that will make the jeep weigh more, plus a wife i take it. The more weight in the libby the better i think, even if it does make the jeep sag. Think about it and talk around before u to get the jeep, i want u to get the jeep but safety is first.

lblaze

Reaction score
I think the 4250 GVWR is what they estimate the TT will weigh when loaded with gear and the tanks are full. The dry weight is about 3200. I don't have much gear in the camper other than maybe a laundry basket of clothes for the weekend and a cupboard full of dishes, pots and pans.

No wife and kids (I'm female and don't go that way-LOL!) but I do have my 2 dogs (about 40 lbs. each). I use the camper for dog shows and other dog related events-hunting, tracking, etc, which do require alot of gear. I imagine with a Libby, it will be packed to the ceiling with dog crates, one or two dogs, grooming table, tack box (tool type box with grooming supplies), collapsable chairs and various duffle bags of gear.

My biggest fear is that I get this thing and a semi passes me and scares the hell out of me (or worse), then I have to dump the Libby, take a depreciation hit and have to get something bigger. I have not driven a little vehicle since the 80's so I guess I'm not really sure what they are supposed to feel like. It felt a little unstable to me once I hit about 63 mph, but I'm wondering if that's because I'm used to the Escalade, Yukons and Tahoes for the last 20 years.

Boy this is really a tough decision!

lblaze

TireSmok007

Reaction score
were you just looking for a diesel because it not i might whould get a grandcherokee it is a little longer and whould pull a longer trailer better at high speed

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, sorry i thought u were a guy, dont see many girls towing a trailer.

No, i think she wanted it b/c of the MPG. I think u would be fine, but plz dont go by what i alone say. Think it over really good. And u might not want to go fast, keep it right at the speed limit or just alittle over, just take it easy until u get used to it, if u do get it.

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say pass on the Liberty, If you have ANY dout in towing with a setup, then it is not the right way to go. I had a 3/4t crew pickup w/ a 35 Ft. bumper pull travle trailer. Got blown off the road by a truck. I traded the trailer in for a 5th wheel two weeks later. The 10,000.00 loss was cheap compared to if I had a wreck and killed someone els or myself.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing a 19.5 ft travel trailer with a Liberty, even if it's within the towing capacity of the SUV, seems like a recipe for disaster. I do occasional hot-shotting on the side, and have seen my fair share of carnage on the roads in what I personally believe was under-sized vehicles trying to safely do the job of a larger 1/2 ton or 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I would imagine the mpg of a Liberty CRD towing 5,000 lbs would decrease quite a lot as well. Good luck on your decision !
Greg

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've towed over 2 tons with my CRD and the engine didn't even know the load was back there. The wheelbase was the problem. It felt a bit scary past 60 miles per hour. The drivetrain in these CRDs is rock solid and very heavy duty. It's a shame the wheelbase is keeping these things from being great tow rigs. [-(

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
n3qik said:
I will say pass on the Liberty, If you have ANY dout in towing with a setup, then it is not the right way to go. I had a 3/4t crew pickup w/ a 35 Ft. bumper pull travle trailer. Got blown off the road by a truck. I traded the trailer in for a 5th wheel two weeks later. The 10,000.00 loss was cheap compared to if I had a wreck and killed someone els or myself.

Wow! Some story... 35 ft. is a long one...

This is one I keep thinking about. Small, but would be fine for the wife and I.
http://www.jayco.com/html/catalog/product.php?prod_id=73

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those things are cool and at least around here, they sell for a reasonable price.

NJBill

Reaction score
TireSmok007 said:
http://www.jayco.com/html/catalog/product.php?prod_id=73

They are great It is kinda like what i have. Easy to pull and to back up.

I have a question about this RV. Would it be possible to carry a 300 lb motorcycle on the back? There are many hitch mounted carriers for motorcycles but I've never seen anything on the back of a RV.

Here is an example of the type of rack I am talking about.:
Carrier