Confession

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive in 4x4 Full Time all the time. 8-[

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's "full-time" 4x4, you are fine. "Part-time" all the time would be bad, and we'd all make fun of you imwithstupid.gif (rotflmao)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you really need "full time" on dry pavement? I know it won't hurt anything but just curious. I use mine whenever it's wet or light snow.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
:-k

Why.. 8-[

why not. I don't know, once I pull it into full time, I really don't want to push it down, I have no clue why.. It is addiction to traction, I think. It seems to get up a bit slower and noisier, for some reason it feels different.

plus I do a lot of quick get-go's, so it's good to know it won't spin rears

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are advantages to full-time AWD even on dry pavement. In 2wd, only 2 tires are suppling traction, while the other 2 are giving only drag (friction, resistance) in 4wd, all wheels are productive members of the traction community. This results in slightly better gas mileage, and theoretically slightly better acceleration.

Only slightly, because the 4wd drive train also gives additional drag, but not so much that it completely off-sets the traction advantage.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
There are advantages to full-time AWD even on dry pavement. In 2wd, only 2 tires are suppling traction, while the other 2 are giving only drag (friction, resistance) in 4wd, all wheels are productive members of the traction community. This results in slightly better gas mileage, and theoretically slightly better acceleration.

Only slightly, because the 4wd drive train also gives additional drag, but not so much that it completely off-sets the traction advantage.

And increased tyre wear?

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put mine in 4X4 Full time out in the street just to drive it into the driveway onto a set of ramps and I felt a lot of binding on the dry pavement, even if only for half of a block. Now mine could have been stuck in PT, but I still wouldn't risk the possibility of wear or damage to the T-case. That wouldn't be a cheap repair :-k

Definitely not the same case with wet pavement though.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ENBr said:
And increased tyre wear?

Which of these 2 tires will disappear first?

1) the one being dragged across pavement against its will

2) the one which is rolling freely across the pavement

There should be less tire wear with 4wd.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MadDog said:
I put mine in 4X4 Full time out in the street just to drive it into the driveway onto a set of ramps and I felt a lot of binding on the dry pavement, even if only for half of a block. Now mine could have been stuck in PT, but I still wouldn't risk the possibility of wear or damage to the T-case. That wouldn't be a cheap repair :-k

Definitely not the same case with wet pavement though.

If it is actually binding, there is something wrong. Full-time is just what it means, & it is what the NV/NP 242 t-case was designed to do. This same transfer case is also used in some Hummers, and cannot be switched into 2wd at all.

Check the t-case fluid level & the selector lever cable. Something is not right.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe everyone is thinking about this WAY to much. Being in 2wd does not mean there is any drag on the front tires. The amount of drag would be VERY, VERY little. Not enough to notice a difference in tire wear. The entire drivetrain is turning at all times, so putting the tcase in fulltime does not turn anything that wouldnt be turning in 2wd.

Also, you should not have any kind of binding when in fulltime. If that were the case, the front and rear diff would also bind since it is basically the same thing as the tcase in fulltime. All Fulltime is, is a open diff in the tcase. This allows torque to be transferred to the front and rear when driving striaght on the road. Anytime you turn, it allows the front and rear wheels to turn at different speeds. It will also allow either one front wheel or one rear wheel to spin if it wants, given that you do not have an LS diff or a locker.

O:)

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tokyojoe1965 said:
Lower gas mileage...from my experiences, driving in 4-Hi Full Time.
Your correct sir, 4x4 full time or AWD offers less MPG the 2wd mode
but for those who don't believe it, drive how you want it's your money.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
jeepjeepster said:

Why.. 8-[

why not. I don't know, once I pull it into full time, I really don't want to push it down, I have no clue why.. It is addiction to traction, I think. It seems to get up a bit slower and noisier, for some reason it feels different.

I wish mine would spin the rears....

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Sometime I can get my M/T's to break loose... on purpose =D>

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
glaurick said:
Tokyojoe1965 said:
Lower gas mileage...from my experiences, driving in 4-Hi Full Time.
Your correct sir, 4x4 full time or AWD offers less MPG the 2wd mode
but for those who don't believe it, drive how you want it's your money.

I get 15, if I am lucky, I don't go over 220miles on a full tank about 15 to 16gallons. So the worst will be half mpg difference for me. If I was doing daily 50 miles on a straight stretch of freeway like most of you guys do, I would understand and start seeing the mpg difference, and wouldn't bother with 4x4 FT. (not 4HI) I live in NY, most of my driving involves driving through puddles, pot holes, ugly pavement, curvy exits and ramps, crazy drivers and redlights that won't wink at you. So it's good to know that i got the extra hand (or foot) that'll give me the confidence if I have to sway before an a-hole who just stopped or need to maneuver quickly when I see the highway is packed, to take the exit instead..

I actually tried so many times, there is no huge difference between 4x4FT or 2WD on long trips. It feels heavier and it is louder, but jeep already gulps the the fuel no matter what you do.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah well, I have command trac, so I suppose that's out of the question :)

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
hyedipin said:
jeepjeepster said:

Why.. 8-[

I wish mine would spin the rears....

Put your stock tires back on. Mine spin all the time!

jpm

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWD all the Time

Throw this into the mix: unless the vehicle has locking axles front and rear, the vehicle really does not have 4 wheel drive, only 2 wheel drive-1 wheel on each axle.