Computer showing code, but no CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight I was outside, messing around with the cars. The CEL hadn't been on in the Jeep in a little while, so I (considered myself lucky, and) thought I would plug in the scanner to see if i even had any pending codes or anything. Come to find out I had a CEL code for the random misfire again, but the light hasn't been on. What's going on with that?! When the Jeep is off i can turn the key to the "on" position and the light will light up or when I start the Jeep it comes on at startup then goes out. So what is going on with having a code but no light?

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean failed trips as in two 'drives' in which the engine is misfiring? Or two failed trips as in two of whatever trips or 'triggers' the code? If that makes any sense. I'm having a hard time trying to put into words what I'm trying to ask, so I apologize.

So what you're saying is the p0300 CEL requires the answer to the 'trip' question above twice in order for it to activate the light? So it can detect it once and show the code in the system but no light. Then once it detects the misfire a second time it activates the CEL in the dash? Hopefully I am understanding that right. In the scanner it had info on miles since the code had been activated. It was either like 34 or 43 miles since the code. I guess depending on the answers from above, could it be normal for it to be that long between it detecting the misfires?

I just want to make sure my light is functioning properly. It was just a strange feeling after the light had been out for a while, and plugging in the scanner just to find out it had a code stored in the system with no sign of the light being on.

Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Members online