Command Trac System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mw

Reaction score
This is my first jeep (I have had all 4wd suv's before this) and it came with the Command trac 4wd system and I can get it into four low but when I let go of the lever it pops back into transfer case neutral . Could someone give me the steps of how to change it from 4hi to 4lo because I have been following the instruction manual and it doesn't seem to work .

Thanks,

Matt

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used the four-low in my KJ, although it's never pooped out. However, in my TJ, it does pop-out under stress. On TJ's, it usually happens when lifted and is rare on stock ones, as the linkage needs to be adjusted. I've gotten under my TJ and I can see where the handle connects to the transfer case, and I also have a write up on how to adjust it, but I haven't taken that on yet.

Anyway on the KJ, I pulled the page below from a 2003 Service Manual. You might get under it and check and see if the cable is tight. Sounds like it needs adjusting too. I assume that you are under warranty, so you might have the dealer fix it, as it should not pop out.

Hope this helps, and let us know.

You must be registered for see images

I'll also add, that on a TJ, I was told to have someone get inside and move it in and out of four-low while you are looking at it from underneath (that is if you can see the where the cable connects... I can see it on a TJ). But of course, use all caution and have the engine off, emergency brake on, etc.! This is just for educational purposes... LOL

And welcome, btw with your 65th!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you are going into 4low, its best to be rolling 1-3mph. If you must put it into 4low when sitting still, pull back on the lever while you put the ****** into D.. It should pop right in.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow that was weird. I didn't see my post and I was looking all over for it. However I just realized you posted this question in both this forum and the "Frequently Asked Questions" forum.

Welcome to the club. A neighbor of mine has a black 65th edition Liberty. It looks real sharp with the accents and seat embroidery.

gunflint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We also have a 65th anniversary edition (black) but I can't help you with the 4lo problem. I doubt the mine will ever see 4lo. I've been driving 4 wheel drives for 25 years and only used it once and that was to get through a soft and muddy lot with a truck and trailer loaded with firewood.

By the way. Did you take your "65th Anniversary" badges off. I did the first night I got it home, along with the dealers name tag. I didn't want the paint fading around those spots. And being vinyl I figured that they would just get all beat up in a year or two. I did save them in case I decide to put them back on at trade in time. Good luck with your KJ and I hope you'll like yours as much as I like mine.

Latest posts

Members online