clutch no longer smooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am on a 2k mile road trip and my new 07 sport decides to start acting weird. When I start releasing the clutch i now get a not so smooth, gittery shift. Also during reverse, as I've come off the clutch I've heard a squeal. It went away when I gave it gas. The gitters no longer allow for a smooth take off, seems to catch a little and jump. Any ideas? Is this something I should get off the road with and into a shop now? Or should I be fine for a week?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am on a 2k mile road trip and my new 07 sport decides to start acting weird. When I start releasing the clutch i now get a not so smooth, gittery shift. Also during reverse, as I've come off the clutch I've heard a squeal. It went away when I gave it gas. The gitters no longer allow for a smooth take off, seems to catch a little and jump. Any ideas? Is this something I should get off the road with and into a shop now? Or should I be fine for a week?

Have you checked the fluid in the clutch master cylinder?

The master and slave units come as an assembly with pipe attached and brake fluid already in....at least this is how it worked on my 2002 CRD....do not see any way to bleed the system but you are allowed to top up with Dot 4 brake fluid.

Sounds like the clutch assembly going though.

If you do get the clutch replaced...make sure that the shop does not machine the flywheel down flat!

The flywheel has a deliberate curve on it....slight roughness can be removed with emery cloth but the flywheel must not be machined flat or you will have to buy a new one.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do I check the level?

I do not know the 2007 KJ.....there should be a small reservoir somewhere in the engine bay for the clutch fluid....check your Owners Manual and I will see what I can find in my 2006 documentation.

Edit to add: I checked my 2006 Service manual documentation and everything is the same as I posted above.

The Clutch reservoir is located on the firewall in the engine bay directly in line with the clutch pedal.

Last edited: