Clunking on drivers side...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit a good pothole on the road the other day and now I have this rythmic clunking in the driverside.

Like a "clunk... clunk" when driving slow... dissapears at speed but speeds up until it dispears when accelerating...

It doesn't matter what the road surface is it is alwasy the same...

I'm thinking maybe a CV joint??

Anyone experience this? I still have 2 years on my drivtrain warrantee...

Jeff

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from here. Did you check it over real good for anything noticeable? Compare both the left and right sides of the suspension and see if anything looks out of wack. Check the tire and wheel too.

If you're under warrenty as you say take it to the dealer and don't tell them you hit a pothole.

Dave

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing visually out of place... Nothing felt in the steering...

Just a clunk clunk on what seems is every revolution of the wheel...

And then it went away for 2 days... and now it's back... It's gonna be a pain in the **** I can tell.. it'll be one of those... "never clunks for the dealer" clunks... hehe

Jeff

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soooo, you take it to the dealer, and tell them about your clunk, and it doesn't do it, and they think you're nuts......... Sounds like fun.

Seriously, I hope it clunks at the dealer and they fix it. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Dave

IAAYAS

Reaction score
I had a intermittant clunk noise like you describe, that was coming from drivers side front of our 2002 Liberty. I found the 5 star dealer had stripped a wheel lug and nut when they replaced recall ball joints. They replaced wheel lug and nut, and noise has not returned.

We usually heard the noise at parking lot speeds, and it increased with ground speed.

good luck

Iyaayas

richre1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Whats Up Sounds Like You Popped A Joint Of Some Sort Maybe A Bottom Ball Joint Btw Have You Done A Recall Yet?
Tie Rod End??? It Is Possible That You Seperated The Cv Shaft Joint But For You To Check That All You Have To Do Is Lay Under The Jeep And Try To Rotate It By Hand Back And Forth Should Be Mininal Play There I Mean Almost Nothing. If You Checked Everything Then Recommend Taking By The Dealer And Telling Them It Is Making A Noise All Of A Sudden. Btw Note To Everyone In The Forum To Properly Check Your Front Suspension Your Jeep Should Always Be In Neutral To Unlock The Steering.

Latest posts

Members online