Clunking noise when shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greatpatch

Reaction score
Hello- my 05 Sport has a clunking noise when I shift and let the clutch out normally. I have been babying it to not clunk. I have looked at it underneath twice. The first time I jacked up the rear wheels and checked the universals on the drive shaft. They are fine. I've replaced universals on other vehicles before. The drive shaft has some play, maybe about 15°-20°.

Today I put up all four wheels and again tried to figure it out. When I engage the parking brake, the play in the drive shaft is still there. When I put it in gear without the parking brake engaged, I have very little play in the drive shaft.

I changed the rear diff fluid a couple years ago and checked it today- it was fine.

I thought the rear diff would make a whine rather than a clunk if it is failing.

Ideas?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check rear tri link , ball joints ( at rear of arm ) wears and will have a clunking sound at times. Buy a good one if needed there are a lot of cheap junk ones out there from companies like Detroit Axle etc.
Then check rear lower control arms , usually on them when you hit the gas on the highway and then let off the rear of the KJ likes to dance back and forth though when worn out .

Another way to check rear U joints is take it for a quick drive 10 minutes or so then put your hand close to each joint, if cool it's good, if hot it's done for

GreenJeep06

Reaction score
Check the rear support arms. There are bushings that ware out and when shifting or going over speed bumps the clunky noise comes out and sounds like it’s in the standard transmission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the rear support arms. There are bushings that ware out and when shifting or going over speed bumps the clunky noise comes out and sounds like it’s in the standard transmission.
You are meaning rear lower control arms right ?

Latest posts

Members online